Has anybody ever tried tripods with nylon twine + tent stakes to hold them steady?

Yeah all good points. Might not work at all.

I do intend to try it soonish. Maybe this weekend. I have a monopod I never use and a bunch of heavy gauge electric wire that shouldn't stretch much at all and a cheap reflector.

It's been storming a lot here this year, so hopefully I can get some nice wind to test.

How do you intend to fasten/tighten electrical wire? Since you're just experimenting, I'd recommend 550 cord (parachute cord). It's cheap, and you can find it at almost any outdoor/camping store or army surplus store. With the inner strands, it's got some stretch to it, but without them (gutted) it becomes a relatively static cord and will be plenty strong for your application. If you don't know them, learn how to tie a taut line hitch and trucker hitch. I'm interested in this project as a novel weight savings over a tripod, but it will certainly take a long time to set up and will be a pain in butt if you have to make height or position adjustments. If you try it out and you're pleased with the results, but want something with less stretch or more durability than 550 cord, I'd then move up to something like 1/8" braided steel cable, with turnbuckles for tightening.

Not sure how high a wind you are talking about, but I used to find that vibration was the main problem for a tripod in high winds, and you would have to try to avoid vibration from taught guy ropes without allowing too much movement. Guy ropes are used with lightstands, but I've only used them for security rather than basic stability - ie we didn't need them, they were only there in case of an unusual gust of wind. Twisting of the stand can be a problem, and guy ropes are often inadequate to restrain that significantly. Anchoring the guy ropes effectively can be a problem, even for people who understand how to do it properly. Sandy, rocky, paved and soft ground all cause problems, but at least you have some choice in the exact location of the stakes.

Why would you be out shooting in winds extreme enough that you have to tether your tripod down anyway. Let alone wanting to use a reflector at the same time.

Apparently you're new to TPF. Just try it. Post a picture of an F5 tornado from 100 yards away. SOMEONE'S gonna chime in with 'needs fill, maybe you should invest in a reflector'

NOT new to the forum. In fact I joined before you.

If im 100 yards away from a F5 tornado taking a photo is not high on my priority list.

Not for you but may be for others.

Most reactions

Back