Has Something On TPF Changed

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by smoke665, Aug 6, 2019.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't see anything but the sponsor ads now that I added the Adblock extension. These were banner ads that were coming in at the top of the page, and above the sponsor ads at the bottom. I don't mind the sponsor ads at all, but the others were a PITA. One that was always showing up was for a local hospital that I went to one time, another for clothing.......all non photography related ads. Thinking back they've been coming through for awhile, just seems to have gotten worse of late.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    For others having annoying ad issues, the blocker is AdBlocker Ultimate - AND ALL ANNOYING ADS ARE OUT! a free extension for most popular browser. Now if I could only find something similar for my Satellite TV that I pay an exorbitant amount for each month only to be bombarded by ads.

3. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I see what Derrel is seeing once I log in. Before that it's a hootenany of garbage ads I feel like I can't get away from fast enough.

I dunno Smoke, I'm tired of having to download something just for one site. Why can't they make it more user friendly instead of me having to be the one to make a change to accomodate them?? (That's rhetorical ya know!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use Ublock, and I'm like St. Schultz.... "I see nothing!"

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. vintagesnaps

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What's a pop under?? nm I'm getting a headache...

edit - And I think I might develop a twitch... this is a nonprofit, but who and where?? Haven't found out yet but I'll be danged, they'll accept donations but not provide info. on their organization that's easy to find? And why do I read things and ask questions?! lol

6. vintagesnaps

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK, nothing... and their FB page hasn't had a post since May. I give up. They need a little more 'transparency' (which is apparently the latest way to describe being straightforward about who you are and what you're doing! lol).

edit - And no little blue birdie tweeting since 2016 which was mostly retweets anyway, whoever's doing that site must've fallen off the face of the earth! lol Why do I always look and the more I look the worse it gets...

Uh-oh, it's also made to be used with Opera which is in Norway, and - something called Yandex, which is in Russia... And no info. on who's doing the site, too many flags on the play for me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. gk fotografie

gk fotografie hora lapsa non redibit Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe the following gives some clarity, I just started with the available information on this forum TPF and searched a little further on the internet. It has apparently been frequently asked in the past by people on this forum and also sometimes looked up by members, as far as people knew TPF was from Forum Foundry Inc. - an organization with headquarters in an office building at Cedar Park in Texas. Forum Foundry has many hundreds of websites, forums, etc. that are mainly related to cars, motorsport, etc. The co-founder and vice president of Forum Foundry Inc. is Dan Kiehl and a profile can be found on Linkedin. I don't have an account myself, so I don't have more information about this person.

Said Dan Kiehl is also associated with AutoForums.com, a website owned by VerticalScope Inc. from Toronto, Canada. If you look on the VerticalScope website, you can read that they have taken over Forum Foundry Inc. in 2016. Rob Laidlaw, founder and CEO of VerticalScope, can also be found on Linkedin, noted as an investor with links to the Cayman Islands.

In fact, there's nothing strange going on, TPF forum is part of a really huge clutter of websites, forums etc. and that's not further suspicious, it's only very strange why there are all kinds of car - motorsport - computer forums etc. etc. where the name of VerticalScope Inc. is simply mentioned, while being very secretive about it here at TPF, I'd not know what is against openness and transparency and I think it's more friendly for everyone (including future members) to know what you're dealing with and who you're dealing with.

8. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    @gk fotografie you've found much more then I did, but I only did a cursory search. Also odd that TPF nor Forum Foundry show up when searching on VerticleScope.

9. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Definitely a mess if you're not registered/logged in. When logged in I see what Derrel is seeing except the add for MPB is at the top. I'm using Chrome and have an ad blocker activated.

10. pez

pez Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Chrome with no ad-blocking extensions here, and I haven't noticed any changes, just the MPB and Lee Filters.

11. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I get ad at the bottom of the page below the text box

12. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Chrome and ABP - I get one ad on the sidebar under the header of "Forum Sponsors." Far better than the phone or the Fire