Has Winter Arrived?!?!

Don't get me wrong, I love Canada (outside of Quebec).

If you yanks spoke French, you would love Quebec too.

skieur

Oh I know enough to get around, but language barrier aside I found many to be rude in general and quite smelly. Not all but some.

skieur

So true! People are friendly and Montreal, my hometown, is an awesome city with a rich culture. Hey there's even a lot of english there too.

Its a beautiful city that oozes culture, but I wish that not knowing the language wasn't seen as an insult.

skieur

Oh I know enough to get around, but language barrier aside I found many to be rude in general and quite smelly. Not all but some.

I soo don't agree with you here. Do I think it's possible of that happening, sure, but to I'd like to know how your attitude was going in.

skieur

So true! People are friendly and Montreal, my hometown, is an awesome city with a rich culture. Hey there's even a lot of english there too.

Its a beautiful city that oozes culture, but I wish that not knowing the language wasn't seen as an insult.

Fair enough, but the issue is if you don't try they find it insulting. This can open a can of worms but if a french guy went to Maine and only tried to speak to you in french and made no effort to speak in english, how would you feel?

Fair enough, but the issue is if you don't try they find it insulting. This can open a can of worms but if a french guy went to Maine and only tried to speak to you in french and made no effort to speak in english, how would you feel?

Half of Maine does speak french. ;)

Honestly I do run into it but I am not offended if a tourist doesn't know the native language, it is to be expected.

If the same person were to live here and still not make the effort then it is a different story.

But overall the attitude in Quebec seems to be that everyone has a chip on their shoulder towards everyone who isn't french canadian. Even Canadians from other providences will attest to that fact.

Half of Maine does speak french. ;)

Honestly I do run into it but I am not offended if a tourist doesn't know the native language, it is to be expected.

If the same person were to live here and still not make the effort then it is a different story.

But overall the attitude in Quebec seems to be that everyone has a chip on their shoulder towards everyone who isn't french canadian. Even Canadians from other providences will attest to that fact.

That I will agree with because it's true. I'm a perfectly bilingual French Canadian and even I got flack as a kid because I spoke english and lived all over Canada. I've been in many arguments with Quebecers and other Canadians for that matter, on this exact topic. I find both sides have two extremes and personally, I seem to fit right in the middle ecause of my experience.

On a second note, I've been to Boston to play in a tournament as a kid and found the people to be quite nice. Really enjoyed it there.

Boston is awesome and if you aren't a minority, a very friendly place.

Yeah I guess they feel like they have to struggle to keep their French identity by acting in such a manner. It is a shame because its such a great place, but I always have several rude experiences every time I've been there (hundreds).

Yeah I guess they feel like they have to struggle to keep their French identity by acting in such a manner. It is a shame because its such a great place, but I always have several rude experiences every time I've been there (hundreds).

That's really unfortunate. At least it's a good enough place for you to go back ;)

That's really unfortunate. At least it's a good enough place for you to go back ;)

Yeah to be honest I could say the same about NYC except for the language thing.

It's pre coffee so iPod pic.

Will we reach the doorknob?

$image-2301955520.jpg

Hopefully, it's not a door you need to use. The local weather forecasters are deeply disappointed that they cannot claim the "super" or "mega" or "snowmageddon" for our area, which is supposed to be skirted by the storm going through southern Ontario, and the other one coming up the eastern seaboard. We're supposed to get about 10-15 cm (4-8 inches) of snow by Saturday morning, which will serve to freshen up the ski trails, and provide us with a bit of exercise cleaning our walks and driveways. Gonna be windy today, though, with winds forecast to be gusting to 90 kph (55 mph). This means that some places will be bare (down to the ice cover that is currently on the ground) to snowdrifts of 3-4 feet in the unlucky areas. Driving will be a pain, mainly due to visibility. I checked the essential supplies, and we have enough coffee to last us into next week, so we're fine. :lol:

Rain and cold, today. Those along the northern Atlantic coast (NJ, NY, New England, Maritimes) be careful.

Hopefully, it's not a door you need to use. The local weather forecasters are deeply disappointed that they cannot claim the "super" or "mega" or "snowmageddon" for our area, which is supposed to be skirted by the storm going through southern Ontario, and the other one coming up the eastern seaboard. We're supposed to get about 10-15 cm (4-8 inches) of snow by Saturday morning, which will serve to freshen up the ski trails, and provide us with a bit of exercise cleaning our walks and driveways. Gonna be windy today, though, with winds forecast to be gusting to 90 kph (55 mph). This means that some places will be bare (down to the ice cover that is currently on the ground) to snowdrifts of 3-4 feet in the unlucky areas. Driving will be a pain, mainly due to visibility. I checked the essential supplies, and we have enough coffee to last us into next week, so we're fine. :lol:
Coffee stocked up here too! At least we have our priorities straight! ;)
I'll take the snow over the ice any time! We got about 8 inches overnight and expect about the same again this morning. It's just coming down steady but nothing compared to what the east coast is expecting.

Rain and cold, today. Those along the northern Atlantic coast (NJ, NY, New England, Maritimes) be careful.
Brrr rain, rain just gets into you and chills you, I'll take the snow thanks... unless there is thunder and lightening.. then I'll take rain lol

Rain and cold here today too. Well, that's a relative thing. It'll "only" get up to about 51 F. :D
But sunny and almost 60 tomorrow.

That blizzard the East Coast is expecting?? Uh-uh. I don't want ANY part of THAT.
I hope everyone stays safe and warm!

Most reactions

Back