Hating Canon/Looking for a cheap new camera with basic functionality for automated photogrammetry

Canonisgarbage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I´m building a photogrammetry rig wich takes about 300 photos with a short delay between the photos. I´m currently in the process of trying to find a cheap basic DSLR that WORKS.
First I tried Canon eos250d wich was garbage. It seems that you just cant trust that Canon will include the most basic functionality in their products. I will avoid and hate Canon for the rest of my life of course. They suck!
Then a tried Nikon d3400 wich was very slow. Then I tried Nikon d3500 wich was also very slow. I had to double the delay between the photos compared to canon eos250d. (yes it was with the same memorycard).

I´m looking for a cheap new DSLR that can match the speed of the canon eos250d. It also needs to have a synccable output or a hotshoe with a centerpin so i can trigger my ringflash from Godox.
Any suggestions what I should try next? At this point I don´t really care about imagequaity anymore. I just want to find something with APS-C or bigger that works that isn´t Canon, and I dont want to pay over 1000 euros for it. Any suggestions? Panasonic? Sony?

What functionality is it that you think Canon doesn't include in their cameras? I can't immediately think of any particular ommissions so I'm wondering if you are encountering a bit of user error, or trying to use the camera in a way that they are not designed for (meaning that you may run into similar issues with other brands). Cameras also have different feature sets depending on the model and when they were released, with the higher end models having more functionality.

Have you thought about using a video intstead of stills?

I've made a few small 3D models just using my cell phone and some basic photogrammetry software, so I undestand the principles behind what your trying to do but need a bit more info on the issues you are encountering to reccomend something

With missing functionality, i´m refering to the fact that they removed the centerpin in the hotshoe wich is used for triggering third party external flashes.

Last edited:
What functionality is it that you think Canon doesn't include in their cameras? I can't immediately think of any particular ommissions so I'm wondering if you are encountering a bit of user error, or trying to use the camera in a way that they are not designed for (meaning that you may run into similar issues with other brands). Cameras also have different feature sets depending on the model and when they were released, with the higher end models having more functionality.

Have you thought about using a video intstead of stills?

I've made a few small 3D models just using my cell phone and some basic photogrammetry software, so I undestand the principles behind what your trying to do but need a bit more info on the issues you are encountering to reccomend something
No video is not an alternative for my application for several reasons.

I´m looking for a camera that can be triggered once every 2-3 seconds. It needs to have a descent bufferperformance so it can take a photo and upload it via usb beore being triggered again. Canon EOS250D did this with no problems, but its hotshoe sucks so it doesn´t work with my ringfllash.
I find it totally absurd that Canons older beginnercameras has descent hotshoes but the newer doesn´t. I guess the M50 is ok but its batterylife is not good enough for professional photogrammetry.. Any recommendations?

Hey Garbageman(oops are you She/He/They?), I don't even know what a 250D is?
My old Canon 5Dll had a center pin as well as the surrounding canon pins. You can get them used for $400 or even less. The 7Dll's are about the same price now and they also have a center pin along with much more advanced focus and functions and if I recall a built-in intervalometer.
BTW, going through life hating Canon is a bit like going through life hating the opposite sex, you can do it but likely be miserable!!!
SS

Hey Garbageman(oops are you She/He/They?), I don't even know what a 250D is?
My old Canon 5Dll had a center pin as well as the surrounding canon pins. You can get them used for $400 or even less. The 7Dll's are about the same price now and they also have a center pin along with much more advanced focus and functions and if I recall a built-in intervalometer.
BTW, going through life hating Canon is a bit like going through life hating the opposite sex, you can do it but likely be miserable!!!
SS
Thank you for the reply. Looking at the specs, the 5D and 7D seems to be good recommendations. They might be a little too heavy for my application though..

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_133241.jpg
    IMG_20210515_133241.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
Sory canonisgarbage, I'm more familiar with canon's mid to high teir DSLRs. It's pretty poor that canon nerfed the 250D that way, looks to be just corporate greed.

It seems to be like sharpshooterr's reccomendation is pretty good, I'd imagine a 7Dmkii is capable of what you are looking for. Possibly the 80D as well. I'm pretty sure my old 7Dmki would be capable of that too, judging by how quickly the buffer clears. Probably a D7xxx from nikon would also do the job. Not sure about ther camera manufacturers, but I reckon that your looking at an enthusiast grade camera that's geared towards sports or wildlife shooters.

I must admit, the flash is throwing me a bit, I don't use mine that often. I know that focusing can delay a shutter. Don't know if you've considered flash recycle times and power but I've heard some horror stories about melted flash heads which may be worth considering if you've not already. I'm guessing that using a continuous light would be out of the question as well if you are concerned about weight. If battery life is a concern you can get AC pass throughs, which might put a mirrorless camera back on the table for you if you can use a power outlet.

Suprised that the D3500 was too slow though, I'd expect that to be on a par with the 250D. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, this one has got me a bit stumped.

ok thanks for all the replies. I think i'll just go with the 200D if i can find one..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back