Have the camera, working on the knowledge and eye

petrichor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I thought I would finally make a formal introduction after actively lurking over the course of many months! I am from Portland, Oregon but currently reside in Eugene as a student at the local University. I am 19 years old and have only recently developed a love for and interest in photography, after becoming inspired by the works I have seen online posted by photographers.

I saved up for years and in May/June of this year I purchased a used Nikon D90 body, and then a 50mm f/1.8 D lens. I also received an 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6 kit lens from an incredibly generous acquaintance (friend of a friend). I store everything in a Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW camera bag that was gifted to me.

I am far from a photographer and count myself simply as someone in the possession of a camera much smarter than I am. I do enjoy taking pictures of my dog and pets in general, as well as snapshots to document moments and scenery during family vacations and small trips. I have taken pictures of a family friend's two young children as a favor, and more recently, played the role of "the friend with the fancy camera" at an indoor sports event (which I found exceptionally challenging but a great experience as far as education and learning on the job). All the favors have been free of charge and for experience only, and I had made sure to emphasize that I am no professional and will only help out if this was a job they would not ever hire a pro for anyway.

I look forward to becoming more a part of the community and taking in the knowledge, resources, and critique the TPF members have been so kind to share.

Here is my Flickr account for those interested in taking a look: Flickr: petricore's Photostream

Here are a few of my snapshots, as I know some here are not too fond of following links ;)

(The depth of field and framing on the first was intentional, but now I know the DOF should have been adjusted. Not sure as to the framing.)
8149143362_40bf39a0ce.jpg
8149143398_8e32e326ef_z.jpg

8149114325_1564bbab51.jpg
8149113189_4b7058322b.jpg

A few black and whites from our trip to the lakehouse and coastline this past summer.
8149113297_ae64d3f66b.jpg
8149113663_3a4d9f4ec8.jpg

8149144136_835c4b57bb.jpg

And two from a Ping Pong match - indoor crowded event, armed with only a 50mm f/1.8 lens? Ouch!
8186865836_e87d12ffcd.jpg
8186866430_bd3ee32fd6.jpg

Thanks everyone for bearing with me through my long post, and for your time!

Welcome to the forum, Petrichor! You are right, most folks like to see images pasted in the post, or attached. ;) No worries! Your dog is gorgeous and the shots with the leaves on his head are cute. You seem to be developing a good eye, and the action shots are also working for you. Well done!

Check out our Gallery section when you want to post more photos (if you haven't already). That's the best place to get some comments. Enjoy the forum! :)

Welcome, petrichor! I like your examples. Keep it up!

I am amazed that you got the tt shots without a flash!

welcome, you're much better than you give yourself credit for. Photographic skill is more about shades of mediocre than it is true greatness. True greatness can never really be achieved, we just try to get our mediocre photographs a little less mediocre. We're all in the same boat in that sense. If you're any good at all, how you feel about your skill level will never change, as you move two steps forward in your skill, consequently your appreciation for subtle gradations in skill increases commensurately, and thus, your target moves out as well. You'll never be as good of a photographer as you strive to be, which is exactly as it should be.

Welcome to the site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back