Have you ever been laid off?

The job I found wasn't something I really had that much experience with--I'm actually still amazed they hired me! I knew how to do ONE small part of the job; the editorial stuff, but otherwise I was completely over my head. But eight years later, not only am I still there, I've been able to turn the job into something I love. ..........

When life hands you lemons, you DO NOT make lemonade.

You make roast duck with a garlic, olive oil and lemon glaze.

:mrgreen:

Once, terrible job fit.
I was hard-working, experienced senior manager, my boss was a crazy, self-involved, controlling, miserable *****.
Nevertheless, I took it hard and didn't work for 18 months, then eventually got a position that made me a nationally known person in my field and led to my own company.
I still hate the person who fired me and hope she got so fat that she exploded and they had to sweep little bits of her off the walls.

Last edited:
I have one time and once I laid my self off when I almost knocked my boss in the mouth but thought better of it an walked out and quit.I found a better job 2 weeks latter with more money and a super nice boss and we actually become buds and played basketball together after work hours. Almost a year later the boss I almost cracked in the mouth from the previous job wanted me back and I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Last edited:
Too many times to count, but it was the nature of the business I was in, so it was never a shock or anything like that.

A company would get a contract to build a network somewhere, hire me and a bunch of other people to engineer and build it, we'd do so, and as the project winds down and various tasks on it are completed those who did those tasks are laid off for lack of work, and move on to another project with another company who's gotten a contract to start up another project somewhere. Some projects took a few months, others took a few to several years.

Nature of my business as well (forestry), and in 10 years I've been laid off too many times to count as well. In that time I've ended up working for 16 different companies, and I've got a pretty good network now so I can always work when I want to. Earlier when that wasn't as much of an option, it was a great opportunity to travel the world or get in a lot of snowboarding days in the mountains back home!

Kind of settled with a company now. We're able to string together enough seasonal forestry contracts to fill most of the year, and when we can't a little time off is quite welcome! It's often hard work and long days but it's enjoyable and rewarding.

Dinardy, I wish you the best. It's a time of uncertainty but it's also a time of opportunity!

Too many times to count, but it was the nature of the business I was in, so it was never a shock or anything like that.

A company would get a contract to build a network somewhere, hire me and a bunch of other people to engineer and build it, we'd do so, and as the project winds down and various tasks on it are completed those who did those tasks are laid off for lack of work, and move on to another project with another company who's gotten a contract to start up another project somewhere. Some projects took a few months, others took a few to several years.

Nature of my business as well (forestry), and in 10 years I've been laid off too many times to count as well. In that time I've ended up working for 16 different companies, and I've got a pretty good network now so I can always work when I want to. Earlier when that wasn't as much of an option, it was a great opportunity to travel the world or get in a lot of snowboarding days in the mountains back home!

Kind of settled with a company now. We're able to string together enough seasonal forestry contracts to fill most of the year, and when we can't a little time off is quite welcome! It's often hard work and long days but it's enjoyable and rewarding.

Dinardy, I wish you the best. It's a time of uncertainty but it's also a time of opportunity!

Thank you Steve!

Whether we realize it or not, all of us are a business of one. Whether you discuss investments, or you discuss clients, the mantra is to diversify your revenue sources. Except for some very specific situations, it is generally considered unhealthy if any one source makes up more than 20% of your revenue stream. To maintain collection of revenue streams, the "business" has to constantly upgrade the product offering (or skill set) to ensure that you can get new clients, and to hold on to the clients you do have. The business has to replace clients (revenue streams) that go away with new clients. There is also the effort of keeping in touch with your client base to make sure you know they will continue to work with you, or give you more business. The business has to also know who/what the competition is, what their offerings are, what their strengths/weaknesses are, and how to position one's own business to counter threats and/or create opportunities.

Of course, when we work as employees for a single employer, then we exchange the effort required to maintain the revenue sources and client base, for the "security" of one income, and one client. That is a relatively safe option IF one's skill set is unique and highly sought-for. It is a dangerous option if the field/position is easily replaced (ie, a commodity position).

There is also the issue of whether what is good for your "client" is good for you. Sometimes the interests are aligned, in which case, you surf the wave as long as it lasts. Sometimes the interests are not - in which case you look for a better opportunity/wave. In the end, we're responsible for ourselves and we have to continually probe whether the place we're at is stable or not, and if it is not stable, where to go to get to stability.

I've been laid off/changed fields three times as an employee. The first was due to a major (but in retrospect cyclical) downturn in the industry I was in. The second was the change of business focus of a multinational. The third was due to the acquisition of our company by another, that was interested in the existing revenue stream and nothing else. I've started up several businesses, and found that it takes a lot of very persistent effort to create the product set, then do the marketing and sales, and then do the customer management, to ensure a more-or-less consistent revenue stream. In the 18 years I have run my business, we've had to continually adapt to changing customer preferences, entry and exit of various competitors, evolution of technology, the economic ebbs and floods, and various hard-to-predict disasters/opportunities and changes in alliances. And unless you run a business of one, you also have to learn how to recruit, train, retain or fire employees who usually do not share your objectives or needs. So it ain't easy.

Dinardy, the advice I was given at one of the "outplacement" consultations was actually very relevant. Know your skill set, then look for the places where that skillset is in demand. For some, it may mean another employer. For others, it may become a series of contract positions. For others, it may become a set of intense but short engagements. Use this moment to assess what makes you happy, what YOU want to do, and where YOU can make the most impact. Then you'll know what you need to do. Good luck.

Been laid off three times in 15 years. It sucks, but as long as you keep your head about you you'll be fine.

Good luck with it.

year before last my company of 10 years laid me off right before christmas (they defiantly didnt want to have to give me a christmas bonus) I took it in stride, the place I had enjoyed turned sour. they started changing the business practices that had made them one of the biggest companies in the area and the more i explained then and fought with them to do things the way they had done the more they felt that I didnt care (go figure) so I now sat at home with 20 years experience in an industry that was globally sucking so the wife talked me into starting down the path to open a photography business. I didn't know business, didn't know marketing, didnt know much of anything, but I got up at 6am every morning, got the kid up and off to school and then i'd spend the next 6-8 hours trying to learn everything I possibly could. Went to the library, tried to read as many books as I could because I new I would eventually have to go back to work. 6 months later I started my business and went back to work in a subfield of what I used to do. I don't know wether or not the phtogoraphy business will work out, but in the end, even with making less money and working harder then I ever had in my life I'm a much happier person and glad I was laid off.

Wow I truly didn't expect much response... These stories really did help with the processing and planning, some of you have really been hurt as much and more than I have. I literally have been in hate mode for months, forgetting the big picture and moving on. For some reason knowing what to do next has been hard, especially trying to gauge and decrypt today's industry, it's a really insecure feeling..especially with two little mouths to feed. I have been bouncing around the idea of returning to school and vastly switching directions towards a more computer/technology enriched environment, my first love and passion. I don't know if it's the right choice, but I'm going for it. I guess the only thing I have to lose is this crap security job at this snobby hotel.

Fun fact: I did see Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley today. They are in town for a golf tourney.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not sure what type of computer/technology enriched environment you're looking for, but I work in IT in Seattle. Depending on what it is, I might have some insights or contacts if you're interested.

Last time I was laid off, it was right after the company had just complete the largest job they ever undertook. I was the foreman on site, and the job was completed on time, under budget and with no warranty work required.

Guess I should have screwed something up on purpose.

I was planning on hanging out my own shingle anyway, so it was just an excuse to do so a bit earlier than planned. I could never go back working for someone else now. I do the exact same things I did before, but now I enjoy not having 8 layers of management above me screaming and bitching and complaining.

Oh, and revenge is sweet... the first job I did on my own I was bidding against my old employer!

But don't you enjoy filling out TPS reports for 8 different bosses? Come on Sparks, it ain't so bad? 8).

Yes, once. I could kind of tell it was coming, and I didn't like the company & hated the job anyway, so while it felt devestating, I also felt like a huge weight had been lifted. I was offered another job, closer to home, for a much better company a few days later. Everything happens for a reason.

Twice after the service(Marines), I guess some civilian companies dislike efficiency an organization. Oh well, they were a blessings in disguise, and I was fortunate that Uncle Sam takes care of his (misguided) children, went back to school finished one of my degrees. But now, not only do I get paid to nerd out with their tech toys, but the company reimburses people for getting their certifications!

But don't you enjoy filling out TPS reports for 8 different bosses? Come on Sparks, it ain't so bad? 8).

Can't enjoy it if I don't know what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back