Having trouble deciding which 70-300 lens to get.

bobbywillmes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon 50D, and I am looking for a mid-price range decent telephoto zoom lens, most likely 70-300. I have a budget of about $500, so no Canon L lenses for me.
I have been lookin
g at two lenses. The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, and the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD.
These two lenese are about the same price. I know that the Tamron is a much newer lens, and I've heard the image stabilization (Tamron calls it vibration compensation) is more effective on the Tamron.
I was able to test the Tamron in a camera store, but they didn't have the Canon in stock- so I was unable to compare the two.
I was very impressed with the Tamron. The VC seemed to work great, the image quality seemed pretty good, and it just felt like a well built lens.
Has anybody has experience with either, or both, of these lenses?? What do you think of them?
Are there any other good telephotos in this price range that are worth looking at?

Welcome to the forum.

I've always heard good things about the Canon 70-300mm (with IS). Up until the recent release of the new 70-300mm L, the IS version was said to be the best, by far, 70-300mm lens you could get. That's not saying much, because most of the other ones, from Canon or other companies, are not very impressive.

I haven't heard anything about this new Tamron, but I'm sure that someone will be comparing it directly to the Canon, so it shouldn't be too hard to Google a review/comparison.

If you can stretch your budget, you might have a look at the 70-200mm F4 L. Besides being shorter on the zoom range, it's probably much better in every sense. One of the sharpest zoom lenses you can get.

I just bought the 70-300 canon, so far I have been happy with it. I will really know when the rolls come back.

If I had $500 to spend on that, I'd get a used sigma 70-200 2.8. But that's me. To each his own. I just think that if you can afford fast glass, there is no reason not to get it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back