HDR from single raw

max and helen you should just agree to disagree and leave it at that. In my experience i started using the digital HDR programmes fairly early on after their release so iv seen all the arguements that go with it. One of the most notable is the difference between the term HDR as its used now (for digital software) and the use of the words High Dynamic Range as they were used traditionally.
These two expressions get confused as you might have said to increase the dynamic range even by using tone mapping is giving the image a higher dynamic range.... were as nowadays its the cool trendy HDR programmes that are most associated with the term. So in a way i think you are both right.

domromer, if you are happy to use one file to produce an image with a higher dynamic range than you can achieve manually then fine, have fun with it.
But im affraid your tests dont mean anything, you can post similar looking shots all day long but the fact is a multi exposure HDR has MUCH more range than single exposure. If you like i can process two images properly and show you the difference, but its probably not even necessary.

I'd be interested in seeing that if you have time.

I posted an example in this thread of a single-exposure tone-mapped HDR that included the full range of the scene - which had a very high brightness range to begin with. That is a case in which making multiple exposures could not increase the range, because the full range of the scene was already recorded by one exposure.

Best,
Helen

Thanks for the link Helen. I had no idea this conversation had been so enthusiastically discussed before. I'm going to bow out of my own thread now. I think it's a wasted argument. The end result is what matters. Whether it comes from one raw or three.

Sheesh, ... semantics. If it feels good, do it.

Most reactions

Back