HDR Question

nexman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All

I am fairly new to HDR photography, and have a question. The usual way of shooting HDR is to use a tripod and shoot at least 3 bracketed exposures. I have tried shooting 1 only then doing 2 extra copies 1 at -2EV and 1 at +2ev. I then have a set of bracketed exposures to import into Photomatix, then create my HDR photo.This seems to give great results and saves having to carry a tripod and wear out your camera by shooting far more exposures. Would any one care to comment on using this method. Thanks Nexman.

You are just using a broader dynamic range that a Raw file gives you. Its a good way to get you a tone mapped image of moving cars or people. Otherwise, do it the way its supposed to be done and the results will be better. Tripod and, as you say, at least 3 shots. 3 raw files are going to give you a broader dynamic range than a single raw file. So depending on how broad the dyamic range is in the scene you are shooting will determine how many shots you need to take.

Thanks Bynx, for your comment. Yes I see what you mean, 3 photos would have a broader dynamic range than 2 copies of one, which would have less dynamic range. Something I did not consider.

Hi All

I am fairly new to HDR photography, and have a question. The usual way of shooting HDR is to use a tripod and shoot at least 3 bracketed exposures. I have tried shooting 1 only then doing 2 extra copies 1 at -2EV and 1 at +2ev. I then have a set of bracketed exposures to import into Photomatix, then create my HDR photo.This seems to give great results and saves having to carry a tripod and wear out your camera by shooting far more exposures. Would any one care to comment on using this method. Thanks Nexman.

Thats what I did with this.

View to the West by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

While this works pretty decent its not as good as the real thing.

You can tonemap single exposures, but don't create true High Dynamic Range Images. The "HDR look" of which people always talk, is just tonemapping. Very possible to create awesome tonemapped pictures from single exposures (see above post!), but if you want to increase your dynamic range and capture noiseless detail in shadows AND highlights, take three or more exposures :)

I like to do 5. With 5 shots you get a really broad range to work with. Also sometimes you dont need all five so you can pick 3 of the 5 to work with. Sometimes the -2, 0, +2 combo is not the best. You can use any three shots in the range like 0, +1, +2. I have done this at night with shots that have pitch black sky.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back