HDR shootout #36

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ready for another one? This is the "Tower Building" at campus, seen from the side. There's a small pond/fountain thingy with lots of flowers in the summer. Taken last year sometime.

My edit has been cropped and "framed" - just because I felt like it. I've also saturated the flowers a bit, because I thought it would fit the "theme" of presenting the uni building in the best possible way: idyllic. My sky is a bit weird, but not something major I'm bothered by. My editing also includes adjusting curves for contrast, brightening the reflection and sharpening.
Looking forward to seeing other versions.

BTW, I've uploaded .CR2 raw files (Canon). I hope there won't be much problem with using these files. Click on link to get to the pictures! My settings followed by picture:

http://www.2shared.com/file/475fWN17/Shootout.html

settingsshootout36.png

Tårnbygningen, UMB, frå nordleg kortside by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow, I can't imagine anyone doing much better than what you've already done. It's a beautiful treatment as it is.

Sorry, but I'm not going to "Sign Up" just to download.

Sorry, but I'm not going to "Sign Up" just to download.
Likewise. There are many free file hosting sites which do not require everyone to login or sign up.
Regards, MM

I've used 4shared before. I didn't realise you needed to sign up. Sorry. What about this link? (also updated first post)

Shootout.rar download - 2shared

Anders you shouldnt have posted your finished image. Its so good it cant be improved on so it seems a waste of time to try. Thats a compliment and not a put down.

I took all 5 images and converted to black and white.
Loaded them into photomatix and used one of my presets i like
used topaz denoise
cropped to see if i could get better alignment of the building

Here you go

IMG_2614-CopyAnd4more_tonemapped.jpg

_pregamma_1_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_01_saturation_factor_08_detail_factor_1Post.jpg

Luminance HDR.
Profile 1
Pre-Gamma : 2.00
Mantuik ‘06
Contrast Factor : 2.00
Saturation Factor : 1.00
Detail Factor : 1.0
Clip Black : 1.00
Gamma : 1.00
Clip White : 1.00

Rotated & cropped.

Last edited:
_pregamma_1_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_05_saturation_factor_2_detail_factor_7_post.jpg

Luminance HDR.
Profile 1
Pre-Gamma : 1.00
Mantuik ‘06
Contrast Factor : 0.500
Saturation Factor : 2.00
Detail Factor : 7.0
Clip Black : 1.00
Gamma : 1.00
Clip White : 1.0

Manaheim and Bynx: Wow, thanks a lot!

Compaq, thanks for sharing the source images. Can't really improve over what you've done. To my eyes, my merged image called for a little horizontal straightening. This is the output from Photoengine which was just straightend and cropped in PS.
Regards, Murray

Shootout_36_MM_LoRes.jpg

Sparky, that old-ish look on your first edit is pretty neat. It's growing on me, I like it more and more each time I look at it.

Thanks for furnishing a great stack to work with Compaq!

Why, thank you!

Most reactions

Back