HDR What Am I Doing Wrong?

first of all, creating a tonemapped effect from one file is not HDR. HDR is used in situtations that have extreme contrast ranges.

I find your attempt to set the record straight admirable. Hopefully, maybe one person will listen to our ramblings. :lol:

first of all, creating a tonemapped effect from one file is not HDR. HDR is used in situtations that have extreme contrast ranges.

secondly, the software can do lots of things, but you have to learn to use the tools within the program to create a specific vision. there really isn't a one click fix, it is praticing and studying , etc.

keep working and experiment with your images, oh, and + and -2 stops will be more than enough

Ann, I understand making a tonemapped effect takes more than one file. Can you imagine how much of a pain in the butt it would be to snap this picture with with three different exposure settings?

My point is... use RAW mode; take a single picture of something; load that into PS via Camera RAW 5.5; then adjust the exposure settings as needed (save each exposure setting separately); load those imgs into Photomatix; and then have at it to create something totally spectacular.

I hope that makes it understandable. And sorry for making such a disturbance within the forum for posting in this thread originally.
doh.gif

On the topic of doing things wrong in HDR.

I've tried taking three exposures... one at -2, one at 0 and one at +2 EV. Took them in RAW but when I load them into Photomatix, the final product looks purple/pinkish.

No matter what I tried, they always looked like Barney barfed all over my pictures.

Any ideas what might cause this?

that made quite the difference... this is just clicking on tone mapping, and hitting OK.. making no changes...
20080331-mp1jkd94w2tp5mcb4ehpimdie4.jpg

are there other things I can do to make it even more animated looking???
I don't know...this image isn't doing much for me and I don't see HDR fixing that.

Most reactions

Back