hello and advice

catcloud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I did a lot of photography when I was younger (slr camera, developing b/w) and now I decided to take it up again. And of course, everything has changed! I'm looking to buy a dslr and there are many on the market, but I'm specifically looking for one where you can set shutter speed manually from a knob on the top and aperture from adjusting a lens ring. I just don't like the idea of doing this from a digital screen. I understand there are not many such cameras on the market, where I live in Moscow (Russia) I've only seen a couple, namely Fujifilm make (x-t2 etc) and a Panasonic Lumix (don't remember which exact model). So in general I'm looking for something with the look, feel, and functions which are as close to the old film slr cameras. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

You are going to have to accept that photography has changed. Not only do we not get shutter speed knobs and aperture rings, there is nowhere to put the film either.

Actually, I get the best of both worlds - I have very a modern Canon DSLR with no shutter speed knob or aperture ring but cheap and easy to use and I also still have my film cameras.

Hello everyone,

I did a lot of photography when I was younger (slr camera, developing b/w) and now I decided to take it up again. And of course, everything has changed! I'm looking to buy a dslr and there are many on the market, but I'm specifically looking for one where you can set shutter speed manually from a knob on the top and aperture from adjusting a lens ring. I just don't like the idea of doing this from a digital screen.
Thanks!

Hi & welcome to the forum.
I don't know any digital cameras that use a top dial for shutter speed, but likewise none of mine involve selecting it from a digital screen.
A simple thumb wheel allows it to be altered on all on my DSLRs & mirrorless cameras. The control is similar to my old Zenit (my most basic SLR) , just easier to operate & can have half or third stop changes if desired.
Aperture control on my lenses is sometimes via a similar thumb/finger wheel but if I'm using legacy lenses (which I love on the mirrorless) it's using exactly the same aperture ring as the lens would have been used with for film.
The big advantage of mirrorless here is the short registration, so that lenses from any SLR, or most rangefinders can be used via an adapter. A dumb adapter is fine for lenses having an aperture ring.

As you get familiar with digital there are a few controls not available with your film system that you will want to use regularly. The aperture control & white balance control are IMO the big ones.

Depending on your budget, you could consider something like the Nikon d7100. That body will work with the old AF lenses, so you can use the apatite ring, and use the dials on the body to set exposure. There are other options for control also. Watch a couple YouTube videos going over the features of the camera to get a complete picture of its capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Depending on your budget, you could consider something like the Nikon d7100. That body will work with the old AF lenses, so you can use the apatite ring, and use the dials on the body to set exposure. There are other options for control also. Watch a couple YouTube videos going over the features of the camera to get a complete picture of its capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Thanks for all replies! Yes, I meant a speed dial on the top of the camera, with speed written on it, 125-250 etc. I didn't know I could use my old lenses with dslr, I think I have a carl zeiss lens from my old yashica somewhere.

Keep in mind that if your old lenses are a different mount than the body you are looking at, you will need to find an adapter for the mount system. There are many different adapters available, and a search on eBay or Google should yield you she good results. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You've gotten some great advice from some others so I won't bore you with more.

I simply want to welcome you to the site! Hope to see you around.

I'm very fond of my Fuji X-T2 and Fuji's X series lenses.

Joe

fuji_xt2.jpg

fuji_lens.jpg

Nikon Df, Nikon D2x, Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D3, Nikon D3, D3s, D3x, D4, perhaps the D5 as well?) will all allow you to set the lens f/stop on the lens, on most AF-D and many earlier AF-S lenses.

The Nikon Df has the look and feel of a film-era 35mm SLR, and has the top-mounted speed dial, and can use AF,AF-D, and many AF-S lenses that have on-lens aperture rings

The newer Fuji's look pretty sweet too! But honestly...you get used to the wheel-mounted aperture and speed controls method very quickly. I would NEVER make aperture and shutter control interfaces my primary criteria, but it is an issue I was concerned about in 2001.

All dslr cameras display shutter speed and aperture information in the viewfinder and all but the most basic models have 2 control dials so that when you are shooting one dial controls the shutter and the other controls the aperture. This lets you set shutter and aperture without moving your eye from the viewfinder or moving your hand from the camera grip and shutter release. This is a lot more convenient and easier to use than the old system of separate shutter dial on the top plate of the camera and aperture ring on the lens.

You've gotten some great advice from some others so I won't bore you with more.

I simply want to welcome you to the site! Hope to see you around.
Thanks!

Nikon Df, Nikon D2x, Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D3, Nikon D3, D3s, D3x, D4, perhaps the D5 as well?) will all allow you to set the lens f/stop on the lens, on most AF-D and many earlier AF-S lenses.

The Nikon Df has the look and feel of a film-era 35mm SLR, and has the top-mounted speed dial, and can use AF,AF-D, and many AF-S lenses that have on-lens aperture rings

The newer Fuji's look pretty sweet too! But honestly...you get used to the wheel-mounted aperture and speed controls method very quickly. I would NEVER make aperture and shutter control interfaces my primary criteria, but it is an issue I was concerned about in 2001.[/QUOTE
I liked the new Fujis as well, especially the classic look, and I'm considering the X-T2. Yes, I'm sure I could get used to other methods for setting aperture and speed. It's just that I don't like the idea of doing it through a screen, plus it doesn't seem very practical.

All dslr cameras display shutter speed and aperture information in the viewfinder and all but the most basic models have 2 control dials so that when you are shooting one dial controls the shutter and the other controls the aperture. This lets you set shutter and aperture without moving your eye from the viewfinder or moving your hand from the camera grip and shutter release. This is a lot more convenient and easier to use than the old system of separate shutter dial on the top plate of the camera and aperture ring on the lens.
Hi Alex,
I see, I didn't realize that. Yes, that does sound practical. Somehow I had the impression one selects through the screen, maybe I got that from older models.

Most reactions

Back