Hello, from Leeds in Uk

T.Rex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Help needed please!
If you feel a TLDR, just hello!

My dilemma is this.
My main interest is macro.
(I have an iPhone 7+ and an olloclip which I always have with me).
I’ve got several sets of bellows and various lenses specifically for them my SLR’s
I use film with them sometimes, but mostly have a Nikon D300 attached. Thing is as I get better (closer, more magnification) I’m finding the images aren’t as sharp as I’d like.
So wanting to take the plunge and get a newer full frame DSLR.
My short list is Canon 6D mk2, Canon 5d mk4,/5ds/5ds r, Canon EOS R and..... Nikon D850.
The Nikon is in the mix as, I guess I’m familiar with the ‘feel’ of it.
I also love the in camera focus bracketing. Watched a lot of YouTube stuff on this and I feel would help me get ‘out and about’. Rather than getting set up on a kitchen granite work a lot of the time.
What seems to have sunk this is I finally found a really good second hand MP-E which as I understand it will not work on the Nikon?
So I guess (for me) defecting to Canon seems the way to go???

I’ve actually bought a Canon 6D mk2, it hasn’t arrived yet. It’s from a UK company with a 14 day ‘No quibble’ return policy.

But now having a massive wobble.
Wondering if I’d be better off with the 5D (something) or EOS R???
I pragmatically put the order in for the 6D mk2 as I felt it left me with more cash available for other stuff.

Have emailed back n forth with the people at WeMacro and MJKZZ.
(Both very helpful) as looking to get an electronic rail.
I’m interested in getting one to make a massive stack iro micron movement between shots.
Just want some reassurance that either the 6D mk2 is up to the job
OR that (for what is going to be primarily used for) one of the others would be better???
I’m now tracking down a good microscope lens to go with some extension tubes. That’s the direction I’m going in.

I would be very grateful for some advice please?
Like I say, I don’t buy new often so want to get this right.
Any thoughts anyone ???

Thx.

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Hi and welcome, of the cameras you mention I think any of them would be a great choice.

Welcome, for the Canon line. Canon has made the jump to a new mount with the EOS-R. Now the old mount will be supported for a decade, and converters will make them last longer. With this in mind, I would see if a macro lens is available for the EOS R (I am studiously ignoring what has been released so I do not go shopping), or get a used macro lens with a converter as a stop gap.
The differences in the "professional" vs prosumer features likely has no bearing on your photography. E.g. shutter speed, FPS, low light dynamic range, dual cards...

Sorry, I know nothing about Nikon.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Thx everyone.
I think am going to stick with the Canon 6D mk2.
The other bits and pieces I’m getting come in under under my budget so my wife will be happy!
I’ve got a sweet Sigma macro lens for my Nikon d300 which I use with bellows. When I get my auto rail will Get a nice stack comparison between that and the 6D lets hope I have moved into the 21st Century!!

(The EOS R looks wonderful - will wait though, I think I reckon a second hand one will be a really good buy next year)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back