Hello from Montana USA

DirtyDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello out there fellow photography enthusiasts. I am here to seek advice, learn from others and maybe contribute once I think I have something to offer.

I have always had an interest in photography, as a teenager I used my families Minolta 35mm SLR, I don't recall the model but I still remember learning a little something about f-stop and the red lights that moved across the bottom of the viewfinder as I rotated the little ring around the lens and what it did to my pictures. I actually kinda' miss that on my D40.

So I have a Nikon D40, the 18-55mm kit lens, the 55-200mm VR lens which I love and I'm sure I'll be back to ask about upgrading the body, lenses, what setting should I use for kids school concerts with awful lighting, basketball games, wildlife viewing in Yellowstone (I need a bigger lens), etc.

I love viewing and shooting my kids, wildlife (which sometimes my kids would qualify as wildlife) and aircraft. I am close to Yellowstone National Park and use that as an excuse to upgrade my equipment whenever I can. I am so fortunate, in the summer of 2012, I think we made at least six trips to YNP and enjoyed each of them. One of our favorite experiences that eluded our lens was turning off the car engine and listening to the sound of elk bugling on a cool fall evening just after dusk. There are so many experiences to be had and we've only scratched the surface there.

When it comes to aviation, we are deprived in MT. We generally settle for commercial ops or the occasional Superhornet passing through. I have to go to Nellis AFB red flag or open house events or to an occasional airshow for my fix.

Anyway, hello from Montana!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the site.

welcome from the east coast where we have lots of aircraft, people but nary and bugling elk to be heard.

Welcome to the site. You will find lots of helpful information here. I'm very jealous of how close you are to Yellowstone, that's awesome. I'll see ya around.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated and I hope to start visiting regularly and learning a lot!

Hello, I am also a new member from Montana! Funny to see another new montanan my first day on this site!

So is there a section here where I can look to see if there are any TPF members in my area looking for a gig? I have a buddy at work looking for a family photographer and may point him this way but only if there is such a search or forum area.

Welcome aboard.

Most reactions

Back