Hello I think I need help

Jairoblaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello All,
Well I am fairly new to photography and need a bit of help. I Have recently got my First DSLR, and Have quite a bit of glass from a Canon AE1 witch is a FD lens style, my new camera is a Canon XTI and the lens type is a EF or EFS, I have looked and seen that there are adapter rings that I can buy to make my old lenses work with my new camera, but here is my question, should I get one with glass or with out and do I need to be carful of wich one I get, as I am just looking on ebay and there seems to be alot of no namebrand people that make them. Also do you think that I should get one with the auto chip set or does it not really matter as you cant use the auto with the adapter anyway. Thanks

I have herd that you should get the ones with the glass because it compensates for the distance that the adapter adds from the original lens to the sensor

You need adapters with lenses inside to be able to focus to infinity. Unfortunately they typically also degrade image quality. The chip is meant at enabling the focus led (so you manually focus, but when more or less in focus, the led is on and you hear usual sound).

Unless you have some awesome lenses, like a Canon FD mount 50mm f/1.2 (I think there's one.. might even be a f/1.0 out there) it isn't really worth it to get the adapters. They're somewhat expensive, the glass element works almost like a teleconverter and extends the focal length a little bit and the image quality takes a hit. Also, good luck focusing on anything with MF-only lenses through a tiny and dark Rebel viewfinder (unless you get a split prism focusing screen.. and then it's still hard).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back