Hello, I'm a newbe!

Tomeboy69

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

My name is Tom and I'm really excited to be here. I'm not in any way a photographer, but I love to look at photos and wonder how they were done technically. I do have a camera now (Olympus C-4040), but have recently been dis-satisfied with the output (looking at images in Photoshop). I'm really wanting to expand my knowledge (or build it) in teqnique and equipment and want to purchase something that will last me a couple of years without outgrowing it. Currently I'm looking at:
Nikon D200
Nikon 2162 18-135 Lens
SB800 Flash
2 - 2GB compact flash cards
1 Extra battery

Do most buy a UV filter just to protect the lens? Or is it a last ditch effort for a salesman to make a little more money?

I would like to start with that equipment and then slowly piece together a small studio set up (lights, backdrop, etc.), but know nothing about that yet.

I'm hoping to chat with some of you and learn from the pros and also learn together with some other beginners.

Thanks,
Tom

Yes, UV filters have no other purpose than to protect the lens. It is a higher margin item for the salesman so it would be strange for him not to suggest it.

Hello all,

but I love to look at photos and wonder how they were done technically. I do have a camera now (Olympus C-4040), but have recently been dis-satisfied with the output (looking at images in Photoshop). I'm really wanting to expand my knowledge (or build it) in teqnique and equipment and want to purchase something that will last me a couple of years without outgrowing it. Currently I'm looking at:
Nikon D200
Nikon 2162 18-135 Lens
SB800 Flash
2 - 2GB compact flash cards
1 Extra battery

Do most buy a UV filter just to protect the lens? Or is it a last ditch effort for a salesman to make a little more money?

I would like to start with that equipment and then slowly piece together a small studio set up (lights, backdrop, etc.), but know nothing about that yet.

You are contemplating a wonderful camera. But you should be aware that there is a very steep learning curve with SLR-level photography and with that or any advanced camera.

You will also be committing to learning post-processing and the purchase of some sort of pp software - another steep learning curve.

If I were you, I would start taking lots of pictures, learn the how-to with what you have, learn the techniques etc, learn to use post-processing software before you take the big step.

I do know that I'm probably buying more than I need to start - But - I hate diving into something and finding out the hard way that my piece of equipment doesn't have a feature (white balance, etc.). I have used Photoshop since about version 3.0 (mid 90's?) for web work and misc. graphics (but never really used for extensive photo processing). I do own CS2. I think I'm pretty tech savy as I have some video engineering background and have done production (and post) for video (with some broadcast). So..... The way I'm viewing this is as if I were wanting to get into video production, I would go right for a 3 chip camera that had features such as manual white balance, external audio control, etc.
Yes, I realize that it is not the equipment, but the person using it that makes the final product good, so I know that I have a loooooong road ahead of me. I have no intent on this being anything more than a hobby. Maybe after years of trial and error my view will change.

Thanks again,

Tom

Well, you've got the basics for a great start and your choice of camera is perfect. The D200 is a magnificent camera - loveley sensor, great ergonometrics.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Lew

Most reactions

Back