- Help A Newbie Out -

Master A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum. :)
I don't own a DSLR yet, but have used them in the past.

I'm looking to buy my first DSLR. I don't know tons of stuff about each of the cameras available, but I know the basics.
I'm from the UK, and can only purchase the camera from ARGOS. I'm looking to spend around ~£550 MAX.
I've had a look around and I've read reviews of the cameras, but I thought I would just try and get some help from any DSLR Pro's here :)
I've used the Canon D1000 before and Argos have an offer where you get the camera body, the 18-55mm lens and the 75-300mm lens for £500.
Now I know this is an entry level DSLR so I was thinking of getting the 500D (£540), but would the second lens on the 1000D be a big bonus?
Which camera would be better overal and, which offer is more appealing? Are any of the other cameras better?

Thanks for any comments, any help would be much appreciated :D

The 500D is the better of the two cameras. The 75-300 isn't much of a lens. Honestly tho, doing the conversion to US$'s, both of those seem overpriced for discontinued models. Unless Canon's are just more expensive in the UK to begin with.

I think the issue is with the shop, Argos, rather than the UK price. I reckon these could be had cheaper from other places, but the OP is stuck with buying from one store (maybe has a gift voucher, or is buying on an Argos store card, or something). Argos won't offer the best deals, I reckon.

And I have the 75-300 canon zoom...it's ok...but I wish I didn't spend £100 on it a year and a half ago...considering changing it for a nifty fifty, but then would have nothing longer than a 200mm manual lens.

I do not think I will go with the Canon 75-300mm lens.
From the 2 cameras you mentioned, I will pick the 500D with kit lens.

Thanks for all the replies ;)
It's nice to see how lively this forum is, can't wait to get a DSLR.
'Bend The Light' is correct, I'm using a few gift vouchers I have, so Argos (unfortunaetly) is the only option.
Are Canons better than Nikons etc. for a beginner (and overall) ?

Most reactions

Back