Help a student! Help start a career

OLC37

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First of, my apologies for what I am sure is a redundant question. However with a little advice I can get shooting straight away and hopefully become part of this photography community.
I am a student who is going to begin courses in Photography with in this year. A digital SLR is required I have began to seriously think of photography as a career. I will be trying out many different styles and disciplines, photojournalism, fine art, portrait, commercial and weddings. With my main focus being in Photojournalism specifically Sports, Football and Mixed Martial Arts. I will be looking for a camera which would fit into a students budget with the quality of pictures that I could

a) Submit to the local Newspapers and magazines
b) Photograph some local high school football games and sell prints from my website
c) Be able to handle private modeling..etc
d)Photograph music events/bands playing
e) Not be too totally confusing me as it will be a learn as I go type of venture and I would like to have started on my portfolio before I start school.

I am a student so I don't have the megabucks but I have thought about this seriously enough to empty out my wallet for.
I have been looking at these various models
Sony Alpha DSLR A230[/URL]
Canon EOS Rebel T1i[/URL]
Canon EOS 40D (w/ 28mm-135mm lens)[/URL]
However I am quite lost, please help! Any of your expertise and advice will be greatly appreciated,
I apologize once again for a question that I am sure is asked and answered every day, please see it inside of you to help out this eager student!
Thanks,
- OL

OL, I am fairly new to photography, but i know just enough to be dangerous. I just upgraded my kit to the Canon T1i (great camera...so far). In my opinion, you should start with whatever is the cheapest out of all the cameras. You wont know the difference anyway until wayyy down the road when you have some experiance. Even tho it seems like you've thought about it a lot and what not, its a pretty serious and expensive investment. You should try out doing it for awhile and then see how you feel. If your going to be serious about it, you will be spending much more then just buying a camera. Good luck!
DS

I have decided Im taking all the money I would of spend on a camera and lenses and going to travel through Europe with a point and shoot instead.

Good day,
- OLC

Wow, that's... original, on this forum.

Ugh, this thread again. Walk into a camera store with a dart, throw, purchase, ???, profit?

I don't blame the decision; Europe is awesome. But the cameras you were asking about were hundreds of dollars, and the trip through Europe is going to be thousands, so it isn't exactly apples:apples comparison.

Also, good luck with your career when you get back. I guess photography is out. Not that there's a problem with that. I think it is pretty hard to get going making a living in photography too. I thought about it more than once, but decided in the end that I would rather have photography stay fun, instead of turning into that four-letter word: W-O-R-K

Where are you going in Europe? Make sure you stop in some of the old churches; those are my favorite part.

I have decided Im taking all the money I would of spend on a camera and lenses and going to travel through Europe with a point and shoot instead.

Good day,
- OLC

......I will be trying out many different styles and disciplines, photojournalism, fine art, portrait, commercial and weddings. With my main focus being in Photojournalism specifically Sports, Football and Mixed Martial Arts. I will be looking for a camera which would fit into a students budget with the quality of pictures that I could

a) Submit to the local Newspapers and magazines
b) Photograph some local high school football games and sell prints from my website
c) Be able to handle private modeling..etc
d)Photograph music events/bands playing........

.....please see it inside of you to help out this eager student!

Well, the eager student BS, lofty styles, disciplines and business ventures lasted for 3 days and 20 hours or so! :biglaugh:

Have fun in Europe with the P&S, and be careful in those youth hostels. :thumbup:

But get your nose back to the grindstone right after. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back