Starting out, Please help a Student!!!

I am not a professional and I can not give you an advice, but I just got Sony Alpha 230 and I like it a lot.

i dont know how helpful this is but i would suggest since you havent actually started yet, getting a cheaper camera first. i know that it sounds good to say that you can make it a career but how do you know it is for you? most ppl buy cameras bc they like the idea of it but after using the camera for 2 weeks, its put away to collect dust and never use it again. I would suggest buying a used xt or xti if you wanna stick to canon. that way if you do really like it, and saved up enough then you can buy a better body and use the xti as your secondary or something

i just dont want you spending all this money for something you're not sure you'd wanna do since you havent tried it yet then 2 months down the line, you sell it off for half of what you paid. it wouldnt be smart

just my two cents...

The 75-300 is not a good lens. But if you're on a budget, you can get a used one for around $150.

If you find a lens you're interested in, google it, find out what the new and used price is and read some reviews.

All the reviews I read on this lens said it was good for sports and does the job. Can I ask why this isnt a good lens?

Seems like you are leaning towards Canon, here is what I would suggest:

1. Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens: Electronics

Brand new T1i with the 18-55mm EF-S f/3.5-5.6 IS lens
Also has a very good burst rate for the sports end of things
-should take care of most photo jurnalism stints

How much of a significant difference for sports shooting is the T1I in compared to the XSI? I am about to pull the trigger on the SXI but the only thing stopping me is the T1I and my thoughts of just going for that. If it is a significant difference for sports shooting I might just go for the T1I as I also like the HD Video ability of that camera.

All the reviews I read on this lens said it was good for sports and does the job. Can I ask why this isnt a good lens?

Judging from the fact he stated you can get a used one for 150$, he's not talking about the one I suggested and you looked into. The EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III is not the same as the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.

The reasons I suggest this 550$ (see my links in previous post) one over the 200$ (150$ used) he's talking about. I think for your purposes that IS and USM will help you get the shots that you will get paid for, thus returning on your investment.

If you want more alternatives look into this 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6, perhaps you'll find it fares better in reviews here and elsewhere. That one doesn't have IS, so you'll essentially have to use a tripod I would imagine. The 75-300mm IS USM is 350$ more because its IS system and faster focusing (USM). As I said before considering how new you are at doing this type of fast-paced environment then you will undoubtedly benefit from both of those features on the 75-300mm IS USM.

In the end its up to you. If you have somewhere close by, go rent the non-IS non-USM version (the one that goes used for 150$) and see if you can take any shots you/your editor would accept. There's no better way to understand how that lens will perform and its limitations then trying it in the field.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back