HELP an idiot with a question about NEGATIVES

kristinski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm sorry to crash your forum with a dumb question, but I have inherited a lot of negatives from our town's old newspaper, but I know nothing about photography. I'm trying to determine what format they are so I can find a scanner to digitize them. They are about 3.25 inches by 2.25 inches or 8.5 cm by a little under 6 cm. I think they started on a roll, but have been cut and stored in envelopes. Any idea what they are. PLUS if you have any ideas for a negative scanner, that'd be awesome. Thank you!

I'd set up a white background and sandwich them between two panes of glass. Shoot with a macro lens on a DSLR and presto.... instant digital files.

Didn't know there was a difference between scanning film and paper.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to crash your forum with a dumb question, but I have inherited a lot of negatives from our town's old newspaper, but I know nothing about photography. I'm trying to determine what format they are so I can find a scanner to digitize them. They are about 3.25 inches by 2.25 inches or 8.5 cm by a little under 6 cm. I think they started on a roll, but have been cut and stored in envelopes. Any idea what they are. PLUS if you have any ideas for a negative scanner, that'd be awesome. Thank you!

Sounds like they are 120film

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think you have to be exact when picking a scanner. I think most flat-bed scanners are set up for 8-1/2" x 11" and will do anything smaller.

No most flatbed scanners that can scan film cannot scan film that I big. Most only illuminate 35mm but some will also illuminate 120 film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2.25 (2 1/4") is also 6cm wide. That format came in 120 roll film (which usually is enough for 12 exposures) or 220 roll film (which usually is enough for 24 exposures). But the number of exposures depends on the camera.

120/220 roll film was used in many camera and while the "width" of the film roll is 6cm the "length" of an exposure varied by camera (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, etc. etc.)

Scanners that can handle 120/220 film should be able to accommodate the varying lengths (but these may require specific film holders so make sure whatever you consider has a holder that will work for you.)

Didn't know there was a difference between scanning film and paper.

Scan paper = reflect light off surface.
Scan film = pass light through it.

Small-Crown-Graphic.jpg
A 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Crown Graphic used sheet film and depending on the age would be more likely since they came from an old newspaper. Although many guys at the time did buy rolls of 120 film and cut it into sheets and place them in the film holders. (This one spent some time on the streets of DC.)
In any case the scanning or photography of negatives requires the light comes from the back. I use an old scanner, and old XP Laptop to run it, for 35mm but like most it won't take the larger negatives.
Many folks feel that taking photos produces a better image than scanning.

Last edited:
DSC_5005_CROP B&W_LG.jpg

Baby Graphic was my thought as soon as you mentioned the exact "two and a quarter by three and a quarter" inch size. Cameras that shot 6x8 cm images and which were used by newspapers were rare--EXCEPT for sheet film-using press cameras like those made by Graflex, and by Bush, and a few others. There were some folders that made 6x8 images, but their number was dwarfed by production of small "press cameras" like the one Denny shows above.

This is my 1938 miniature Speed Graphic. It still shoots okay.

Here is an OLD sheet of Ansco Safety Film film that I found in a very old wooden 2x3 sheet film holder that I purchased from one of the west coast's oldest continuously owned and continuously operated camera shops. The current owner/operator began the business in 1958. Here is a photo of the sheet of film: not the rectangular notch in the film--this type of notch system identified the brand, and the type of film. if your film has any type of notch cut into one corner, you know it was originally sheet film (also called cut film).

Ansco Safety FIlm sheet 2x3.jpg

Here's a picture of one of the negatives. There is no notch. I only measured the actual image the first time. The actual width of the film is not quite 2.5". The length of this one is close to 4" but I don't think it's a perfect rectangle. It says on one edge Kodak Safety Film. On the other edge it says 8 (then a symbol that looks like a sideways perpendicular symbol) then a 9. Does that help?
Film Sample.jpg
I really appreciate all of your replies.

Here's a picture of one of the negatives. There is no notch. I only measured the actual image the first time. The actual width of the film is not quite 2.5". The length of this one is close to 4" but I don't think it's a perfect rectangle. It says on one edge Kodak Safety Film. On the other edge it says 8 (then a symbol that looks like a sideways perpendicular symbol) then a 9. Does that help? View attachment 109263 I really appreciate all of your replies.

Yep, that's 60mm roll film -- today most commonly in the form of 120 rolls. That appears to be a 6x9 negative (60mm X 90mm). The film is 61mm wide by the length of the roll. Back when that was shot there were numerous variations of roll length and different types of spools.

Since the 120 roll version is still common you can easily get the film scanned. Both Canon and Epson make flatbed scanners with 120 film adapters that do a very good job. The Canon 9000F and Epson V600 both sell around $200.00 -- a little less a little more.

Joe

The 8 and the 9 along with the other symbol, as well as the "Kodak safety film" label on the other margin, are exposed onto the film when it's cut and rolled to be packaged. Those are intended to be frame counters, but when one camera shoots a different length of film than another, they don't really line up on the camera's frames.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back