Help- Beginner looking for DSLR!

I guess I'm missing something here, but why are you looking for a DSLR? Casio has the EX-FH100 compact camera which shoots 30 fps at 9 megapixels. I understand off course that the quality of the lens and sensor are nowhere compared to an DSLR, but do you really need that quality for personal use?

My Sony A450 shoots 7fps and cost me £330 (about $525). For the money you're looking to spend you won't get what you want unless you go with Sony, but with Sony they're are pitfalls (unavailability of parts) as i've found out to my cost.

Thank you all for your suggestions. My friend has been trying to suggest cameras, but she is busy with pre-holiday shoots and I don't want to take up too much of her time. I have a very tech-savvy friend who has been helping me also, and while I value his advice I though it would be helpful to get feedback from people who actually work behind the cameras.

chito beach, as for my bank: cheaper is always better as long as it is still a quality camera. Under $700 is a must but I would prefer something under $600 if possible.

Some models my two friends have suggested are:
Canon Rebel XS 10
Pentax K-X 16319
Samsung NX10 EV-NX10ZZBABUS
Nikon D40

Much simpler models than the ones that everyone here has been suggesting, but for a beginner who just wants to take action shots at shows for personal use, what do you think?

sensor performance and ISO performance I would suggest the Pentax K-X.

The K-X also will be ahead in overall cost savings as the body has the image stabilization rather than the lenses as Nikon and Canon rely upon, that makes the lenses cheaper for the same IQ and less weight also.

The Pentax is also weatherproofed the others are not.

With all the new beginner DSLR's out there I would steer away from buying used........the reason they are selling them is to get better quality than the one they are selling

The Kx isn't weather sealed.

....I need something with burst mode/continuous shooting to catch that moment over the jump. ..... I would also love one that is able to record video, if possible.....
This requirement ↑ ↑ ↑

chito beach, as for my bank: cheaper is always better as long as it is still a quality camera. Under $700 is a must but I would prefer something under $600 if possible.
Is incompatable with your budget ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑.

As with most new to DSLR's you are neglecting considering the lens/lenses you would need.

The Sony a33 with 7fps is available directly from Sony for $699
Here is what DP Review had to say in the Cons column about the 10 fps, bigger brother a55:

Sony SLT-A55 Review: 18. Conclusion & Samples: Digital Photography Review

...The 'headline' 10fps shooting mode is useful in some situations, but ultimately we can't help feeling that it is something of a red herring. The A55 is an excellent camera but it is not the ideal tool for shooting fast action.

Be careful of marketing hype.

My Sony A450 shoots 7fps and cost me £330 (about $525). For the money you're looking to spend you won't get what you want unless you go with Sony, but with Sony they're are pitfalls (unavailability of parts) as i've found out to my cost.

Hey other "sony guy" good to see you jump in. Sorry to hear about your camera troubles.

Make due until your budget expands. Buying something sub par now will only be an irritation and a waste of your money.

What are you planning on using the resulting images for? Answering this could allow you justify expanding your budget.

X2 on buying a used D300s. Add a 80-200mm 2.8 two ring and you are set for some nice quality shots for just over $2K.

p!nK

Here's 2 shots that i shot with an old Canon 10D that will cost you peanuts but won't shoot video

577327860_Emrp5-XL.jpg

568956140_R4i7f-XL.jpg

This requirement ↑ ↑ ↑

Is incompatable with your budget ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑.

As with most new to DSLR's you are neglecting considering the lens/lenses you would need.

The Sony a33 with 7fps is available directly from Sony for $699
Here is what DP Review had to say in the Cons column about the 10 fps, bigger brother a55:

Sony SLT-A55 Review: 18. Conclusion & Samples: Digital Photography Review

...The 'headline' 10fps shooting mode is useful in some situations, but ultimately we can't help feeling that it is something of a red herring. The A55 is an excellent camera but it is not the ideal tool for shooting fast action.
Be careful of marketing hype.

It shoots 10 FPS without an issue and stays in focus unless the subject is small and coming directly at you, it only shoots 10 FPS in jpeg mode also but will easily do 7 FPS in RAW.

This is the camera I shoot now. I track birds etc without any issue

Thank you all for your suggestions. My friend has been trying to suggest cameras, but she is busy with pre-holiday shoots and I don't want to take up too much of her time. I have a very tech-savvy friend who has been helping me also, and while I value his advice I though it would be helpful to get feedback from people who actually work behind the cameras.

Some models my two friends have suggested are:
Canon Rebel XS 10
Pentax K-X 16319
Samsung NX10 EV-NX10ZZBABUS
Nikon D40

Much simpler models than the ones that everyone here has been suggesting, but for a beginner who just wants to take action shots at shows for personal use, what do you think?

sensor performance and ISO performance I would suggest the Pentax K-X.

The K-X also will be ahead in overall cost savings as the body has the image stabilization rather than the lenses as Nikon and Canon rely upon, that makes the lenses cheaper for the same IQ and less weight also.

The Pentax is also weatherproofed the others are not.

With all the new beginner DSLR's out there I would steer away from buying used........the reason they are selling them is to get better quality than the one they are selling

The Kx isn't weather sealed.

i believe the pentax K-7 is weather sealed. and aside from other small differences, the K-7 and K-x are very similar

Most reactions

Back