Help buying first DSLR

Sepia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i was asking for help for a slr-like camera last time
and now i want to know what do you think is the best for me in this section.
i want to buy a DSLR as i said..
the only problem is that i need a Liveview cause sometimes its difficult for me to use the Viewfinder.
my budget is very tight [number won't help you very much cause its in NIS but its about 500$ +- body and 250$ for lens]

so i need you to recommend on cameras that you think is best for a new DSLR user..

sorry for my english

thank you,
Sepia

I only know Nikon's so your only option there would be the D5000, I think they are right in your price point.

I only know Nikon's so your only option there would be the D5000, I think they are right in your price point.

thank you but the body only is about 800$
there is another nikon with liveview that is cheaper?
or another brand it doesnt have to be nikon..

yeah a D5000 is just about in your price range. My friend just bought one for about $850 with lens. The D5000 is the cheapest Nikon with Liveview. Your next option would be the D90. I dont know anything about Cannons, but I do know they have more options for every price range.

Olympus e520 would probably be worth looking at for around that price point.

I dont know anything about Cannons, but I do know they have more options for every price range.
Then you do know something about Canons. (Just one n by the way.) Or is it you just think you know. Maybe you know a lot more than you think you know. It's even possible you actually know less than you thought you knew.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I don't think you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Nikon currently offers 10 DSLR's and Canon offers 8.

First off... your English is better than most peoples who speak it every day!

Now... maybe look into something used or refurbished? I got my Canon 30D which is an intermediate-professional grade camera. It was discontinued a little while ago but they can be found on Adorama for about $500 or so used. I was able to get a nice package with a lens for under $800

And yes I know the 30D isn't a real "professional" one like the 5D BUT it is still better than the XS or XSI in my opinion

the problem with used is the warranty and kind of stuff
some one told me that the viewfinder in dslr is alot more comfortable then in slr-like
and maybe i won't have this problem and i won't be limited for LV DSLRs
if i buy DSLR without LV would you recommend
D60 with a kit lens or something
D40 with a better lens
the EOS 1000D?
or another camera?
[the body only should be 550$ top so i can afford a lens]

and now im limited to nikon/canon cause there are no shops that sells lenses for olympus pentax sony..

thank you for helping me.

btw 30D costs about 900$ in israel.

The Canon Rebel XSi (also known as 450D) has Live View mode along with one of two Image Stabalized kit lens (18-55mm, 55-250mm) and will run between 500-800$ depending on where you get it and whether or not you get it with a kit lens. It would be a good starter DSLR, but you will encounter its limitations as you shoot more and more. Still, it's not a bad investment by any means, and your only other Canon option for Live View is the 50D or 5D, which go for ~1100$ and ~2500$ without lenses.

Dunno why everyone is jumping on a 30D or 40D, it seems the OP is looking for something more in the entry level range anyway. I would say avoid the XS (1000D) and at LEAST go for the XSi.

I don't know much about Nikons, but having used a friends D60, I was very disapointed with its performance compared to entry level Canons. New ones are probably much better (especially the D90), but I would personally stay away from a D60 or older.

Well I say go for something like the 30D because first thats what I have and it is my first DSLR and I am very happy with it, just a bit more than an entry level camera. that will keep me from having to upgrade in a year when I get more and more into it. I am going to school for Graphic design with a minor in photography tho lol

Just trying to throw out some more options for him thats all.

I guess the question that should have been asked would have been what his intentions are. Are they just using it to shoot family snapshots? or looking into a photography career?

I just picked up a used 40D - 10months old, for $600 locally FWIW.

Otherwise, if you're ok with the smaller 'entry level' dslr's, the T1i is a great choice and can be had brand new as a kit (w/18-55mm lens) for around $800.

I dont know anything about Cannons, but I do know they have more options for every price range.
Then you do know something about Canons. (Just one n by the way.) Or is it you just think you know. Maybe you know a lot more than you think you know. It's even possible you actually know less than you thought you knew.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I don't think you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Nikon currently offers 10 DSLR's and Canon offers 8.

I don't understand what the hell you said. But what I meant was not about what was available in the line up. I meant at the price you pay, you'd get more out of a canon than a nikon; ie megapixels etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back