HELP !!! Canon 60D brain dead - only battery icon blinking

Camera body (EOS 60D) does not function properly. Intermittent power failure, unable to access software, unable to take photographs, unable to read SD card, unable to write to SD card. I replaced battery with another canon battery. I've changed lenses. I changed SD cards. I've tried many combinations and cannot get the camera to either turn on or take photos. No error codes. Only the battery indicator will display on the LCD screen. I've tried leaving the battery out for days hoping it would "reset". No luck. The camera has never been dropped and exposed to moisture. It has taken approximately 2,000 photos. Now, it doesn't operate at all. I've done a lot of research and I'm afraid the main board is broken. The camera is almost new and has not been used very much.

I called Canon and was told to send it in for repair. As of this moment, the camera IS working again. I never know when it will work or not. I'm afraid Canon cannot repair the camera body when it is working properly (such as now). I was told the minimum cost will be $200.00 + shipping to look at the camera. I was also told to just carry a backup camera so I can take photos when this camera fails. I'm not a professional. Just a Dad wanting to take some family pictures. I'm not happy about this camera or Canon's advice. The camera is BARELY out of the one year warranty. I think I'm burying a Nikon soon.

Brmattos

I'm in the process of replacing my mainboard for another reason, but I'm finding that my flip-out LCD won't close properly now when I screw the case back together. Did you have the same problem? It has to be something with the case, because with the back panel off, the lcd flips down just fine.

Ricardo,

Here is the link to the Motherboard i bought:
Canon 60D Original Mainboard Repair Part | eBay

Abraço e Sorte!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As a newbie reading this I have a question. If you are not going to be using your camera for a month or so are you supposed to take the batteries out? Is that what I understood.

As a newbie reading this I have a question. If you are not going to be using your camera for a month or so are you supposed to take the batteries out? Is that what I understood.
A month is pretty excessively short time to owrry about. But yes, in general when in doubt you should take batteries out of ANYTHING you aren't using for (more like several) months.

I have exactly the same issue here,, the only difference is there are times that my canon 60d will turn on,, after turning it off suddenly turning it on again will not work...the empty battery icon continues blinking...any advice on how to fix this??..

Please help me. After a shooting session I offed the camera, took out the SD card and battery for charging, then inserted another battery. Instead of the camera powering up and running, an empty battery icon in the bottom right corner of the top LCD is blinking otherwise my camera is dead.

I have browsed the net for solution, some advised on placing the cam into freezer, etc. I didint freeze the cam anyways. Then one guy suggested that the cam has to be left alone for a week without battery and lens, this would drain out the electric from the capacitor that in this model is responsible for date and time power supply, then the camera will be functioning again.

I does not.

In the meantime (by reading various sites) I realized this problem occurs to many users, could be a design flaw or such. I contacted Canon service center (I stay in Asia now) in Malaysia and Singapore - they want the body there and I worry they going to replace something major inside and rip me off big time for something that could be reset if one knows how to do.
I had an Error 70 with my 5DMkII, found a fix in the net that worked - the service center wanted my cam there also but I refused. I guess there will be a solution for this one also.

Please those 60D users who had the same issue, post here their experience, how the SAME problem occurred and what was the fix.

Pls refrain from posting other issues or solution for those...I really need to get this fixed.

One more thing: I have a gut feeling that this issue is related to Canon's original batteries, I use those and the two erros occurred same time after I inserted one of my batteries which charges fine and otherwise I cant see any problem with it. But I know Canon placed some firmware in them to avoid their cameras working with generic batteries... I think that firmware screwed up my cameras (and now I may need 2 main boards to pay for - as thats what Canon going to replace in such cases even if not necessary - according to some users online)

Thanks a bunch!!

Same here, i bought my 60D 2011, it did battery flashing this year 2020, i have no permanent solution, but, what i did is taking off the battery and let the camera rest for a week and then fully charge the battery, i noticed that if you insert battery not fully charge, even 50%, it will flash. i did some experiment, i bought two batteries not original, and i tried it 100% charged and it works, and then i tried it again 50% charged, it does not. Hope this helps, it only works for me if the battery 100% charged.

I feel blessed. I have never had my LEICA M-3 unusable for even a second.

Guys I have just joined the battery blinking icon club. Did someone actually fixed the issue or should I start preparing to buy new equipment?

Well, after the official Canon Assistance in my country (Brazil) tried to charge me 1200USD for a new 60D mainboard (just the part, service not included), I searched eBay and bought one, directly from Hong Kong for 95USD. The item was new, original and sealed in its anti static wrap. Watched some Russian video in Youtube about how to disassemble the 60D and got my camera back, up and running.
It's from HONG KONG I would not be certain that it is a genuine part. The CHINESE produce many bogus items and sell them as original. I hope it is not true in your instance

Most reactions

New Topics

Back