HELP - Choosing a camera for my 14yr old shutterbug

CLK_011

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My daughter is 14 and a Freshman in HS. She has a knack for photography and was placed into the Photojournalism course that is reserved for upper classmen. She has spent this season shooting the football, volleyball and basketball games, as well as completing assorted photo projects for her class.

Consider me completely uneducated when it comes to cameras. I have a Sony point and shoot that I've managed to get decent pics out of for years.

My daughter has two point and shoot cameras of her own but desperately wants something akin to what she's using at school. I am very torn on it - I want to encourage her hobbies and interests, but she's also just 14 and cameras get expensive! She is not well organized and frequently misplaces her things.

She wants the new Canon Rebel or the 60D. She likes cameras that "go to 2.8, 8000 shutterspeed and/or 3200/6400 ISO". The lenses they use at school go from 18 to 300, she likes the "70-200". The school uses Rebels and 60Ds with many different lenses.

So....! I have no idea what all of this means - what is more important that the other, etc.. I know the reason she's spouting off those specs is because it's what she's using and what she's familiar with. I thought maybe someone here could help guide me a bit.

Is it possible to give her a decent camera for Christmas without going over $500? Something close enough to what she's asking for that it won't be like expecting a Porsche and getting a Honda?

Can someone provide me a quick tutorial on the best camera that is closest to what she's using at school for the least amount of money?

Thanks so much!

Is it possible to give her a decent camera for Christmas without going over $500?
Yes, used, but that would be the camera body only, no lenses, or perhaps just the cheap "kit" lens that originally came with the body. Get her a decent used Canon, that way she could possibly use the school's lenses, then ecourage her to get a job to earn the wanted upgrades. If she's got some skin in the game she's more likely to be responsible with her gear.

Maybe a good, used d-slr from say KEH.com, or Adorama.com, or B&H Photo's on-line store??? All three are large,reputable vendors with extensive,extensive records of fair-dealing and reasonable prices and decent inventories of used stuff. Maybe say, a used Canon 40D body???

My daughter is 14 and a Freshman in HS. She has a knack for photography and was placed into the Photojournalism course that is reserved for upper classmen. She has spent this season shooting the football, volleyball and basketball games, as well as completing assorted photo projects for her class.

Consider me completely uneducated when it comes to cameras. I have a Sony point and shoot that I've managed to get decent pics out of for years.

My daughter has two point and shoot cameras of her own but desperately wants something akin to what she's using at school. I am very torn on it - I want to encourage her hobbies and interests, but she's also just 14 and cameras get expensive! She is not well organized and frequently misplaces her things.

She wants the new Canon Rebel or the 60D. She likes cameras that "go to 2.8, 8000 shutterspeed and/or 3200/6400 ISO". The lenses they use at school go from 18 to 300, she likes the "70-200". The school uses Rebels and 60Ds with many different lenses.

So....! I have no idea what all of this means - what is more important that the other, etc.. I know the reason she's spouting off those specs is because it's what she's using and what she's familiar with. I thought maybe someone here could help guide me a bit.

Is it possible to give her a decent camera for Christmas without going over $500? Something close enough to what she's asking for that it won't be like expecting a Porsche and getting a Honda?

Can someone provide me a quick tutorial on the best camera that is closest to what she's using at school for the least amount of money?

Thanks so much!

Do you mind buying used equipment from a reputable seller? You can get a good deal on used camera equipment through 2 or 3 online retailers such as KEH, Adorama and B&H Photo. Google any of these and you will find their websites. They are all legitimate dealers with excellent reputations and money back guarantees---do NOT buy locally through a Craigslist ad. You might buy locally from a reputable camera store too.

Here is a link to some used 60D's at B&H. A bit higher in price than your budget of $500:

Used 60d| B&H Photo Video

Here are some used Canon Rebels well within your budget:

Used rebel| B&H Photo Video

The 2.8 that she mentioned relates to the aperture of the lens (2.8 is a large lens opening that lets in a LOT of light) and 18-200 and 70-200 relate to the various focal lengths of the lens (18mm to 300mm focal length -- the lens zooms from a wide angle of 18mm to a narrow focal length of 300mm -- a 16x zoom from 18-300). 70-200 is another variable focal length lens that is very popular and expensive.

I'd recommend for your budget getting either a used Canon or Nikon (plus an included lens or "kit lens" as some people refer to them) from one of these retailers or your local camera store.

Please ask more questions if you have them. :mrgreen:

Someone on here was selling a D70 Nikon with little use for 275 with a kit lens ...I have a D70 that I keep because I like it so much.... look in the classified section.... I would buy this camera!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back