Camera recommendations for an upcoming 9th grader

Useful information.

I won't comment on Canon options (because again, that's not my expertise--though I suggest that's what you start with as your default considerations because it will be useful for the two of you to trade equipment). That said,....if you go used (with say KEH or Adorama) you can get a Nikon D5600 with a 35mm f1.8 and a speed light for $600. And as long as she won't be put off with a used camera, my thinking is: if this takes off and she loves it, you'll be upgrading cameras in 1-2 years anyway (to something much more sophisticated and capable of her growing skills).

Since backpacks are so ubiquitous in HS these days, unless she really absolutely positively wants a separate camera bag, I suggest you get an insert for her backpack. That would cushion her camera gear. And in a conventional daypack would make it less obvious to classmates she's carrying a camera (as opposed to a camera bag). You can get them on Amazon for $20.

I wouldn't start her out on your film camera. Learn first on the DSLR. If she loves it, then expose her to film. Then she'll have the expertise to appreciate the differences. But for right now, a substantial difference is that with a DSLR, you are freer to experiment--you aren't rationing your shots. And you get immediate feedback ("crap--too dark!") that you don't get with film.

Yes, the instant feedback is part of why I'm going to have her use digital. When I gave my older daughter the crash course in photography I was able use the live view to show her how changing the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed affect the final photo and it really helped it click with her.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I will be looking online and drop by my local store (ACE Photo) sometime in the next few weeks to see what options are available. Maybe I'll be able to get her to start going out with me to take photos regularly.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I will be looking online and drop by my local store (ACE Photo) sometime in the next few weeks to see what options are available. Maybe I'll be able to get her to start going out with me to take photos regularly.

Does not hurt to get a head start on the class.

If you know the teacher, you can fill in what the teacher does not teach.
Example, when I was in high school, the photo teacher was really an ART teacher, so could not teach much of the technical subjects. Some of us nerdy students soon knew more of the technical things than the teacher. But we sucked at composition.

Father daughter time out taking pictures is a GOOD thing.
In hind sight, I wish I could have spent that kind of time with my father.

I'm glad you got some suggestions you feel you can use. I have one "ask" of you: at some point come back online and share what you decided to do, what worked, what you'd do differently. That provides a little "closure" to all of us who made suggestions. And frankly, it means we provide better advice the next time someone comes around asking for help on a similar issue.

I'm glad you got some suggestions you feel you can use. I have one "ask" of you: at some point come back online and share what you decided to do, what worked, what you'd do differently. That provides a little "closure" to all of us who made suggestions. And frankly, it means we provide better advice the next time someone comes around asking for help on a similar issue.
I will. I'm not on here as much as I would like to be and keep intending to get back into it but something always seems to happen that keeps me from getting out more for photos so that I have something to contribute. I had some trips planned specifically for photography this year but those are now delayed as my husband unexpectedly got sick at the start of the year. He was fine one day and woke up blind the next, he's gotten most of his vision back now but we're still waiting to see what the long term treatment will be (he had a 4cm pituitary tumor that had to be removed) and he's out of work for the time being. Unfortunately, it's always something...

I will. I'm not on here as much as I would like to be and keep intending to get back into it but something always seems to happen that keeps me from getting out more for photos so that I have something to contribute. I had some trips planned specifically for photography this year but those are now delayed as my husband unexpectedly got sick at the start of the year. He was fine one day and woke up blind the next, he's gotten most of his vision back now but we're still waiting to see what the long term treatment will be (he had a 4cm pituitary tumor that had to be removed) and he's out of work for the time being. Unfortunately, it's always something...
Wow, given what happened to your husband, I can't "like" your post. And I get the limits about your time. Heck, just being a Mom with two teenagers is enough of an answer. But I'm glad you'll followup. And in the meantime you can encourage your daughter to come on her and post questions that she has.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back