Help! choosing between two lens'

bubbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!! You have all been so helpful with my quest to find a camera and dive into photography. I have bellyflopped tho :)
I want to get a telephoto lens and I have narrowed it down to two (due to cost). I need your expert advise....

1. Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC IF SLD OS lens with HSM

or

2. Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Marco Telephoto Zoom Lens

My ears perk up when I hear macro but everything else is foreign to me. I want to take pictures of the sky and things at a greater distance than my 18-55mm lens can do. I also like the idea of a macro lens, I think.

Please help :)

Not being familiar with either lens first-hand, I would go with the 70-300 because I would prefer the longer reach, BUT be aware, despite what Sigma says, this lens is NOT a macro lens, in fact it's not even close. A macro lens is one which will reproduce 1:1. That is: a subject which is one inch long will be reproduced as one inch long on the sensor. The best this lens gets is 4:1, meaning that a one inch long subject will at best, be reproduced as 1/4" long. It should properly be called a "close-focusing telephoto" or something similar.

Thank you so much!! I was confused with the "macro" telephoto lens label. It didn't make much sense to me but I am new at this so I wasn't sure. It's so much info and I want to KNOW what everything means - baby steps! :)

I would agree with tirediron, go for the reach, however one of the reviews for the 70-300 suggest that it is not as sharp as it could be at the 300 mm end - Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO macro - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict - good reach with good quality glass is not cheap. If you can live with this, then it is still your better bet. With an APS-C sensor, it has the same field of view as a 112-480mm on a full frame. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back