Help choosing first camera

Oh, hey! Our bandwidth can probably handle it, but you should just start your own thread. You will get more personalized help and more relevant information.

I'd say the lenses packaged with that camera deal are probably a little better than the lowest-end lenses.

Those kits include some low-cost items that you might never use. I bought a kit from Best Buy online that included a small bag. Way too small. I never use it.

Whether you choose to purchase "Amazon fulfilled" or directly from another merchant is up to you.

The second kit has all this stuff...again I have no idea what any of this is, but seems to be a good "beginner" kit

♦ 1) Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Bundle
♦ 2) Transcend 64GB SDXC Class 10 Ultra Speed Ultimate Card
♦ 3) Precision Design DSLR300 Flash
♦ 4) Precision Design GP-1 GPS Geotag Adapter
♦ 5) Xit MB-D15 Pro Series Battery Grip
♦ 6) Spare EN-EL15 Battery
♦ 7) Precision Design 58mm & 67mm UV Glass Filters
♦ 8) Precision Design ML-L3 Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control
♦ 9) Precision Design PD-FD300 Bounce Flash Diffuser
♦ 10) Precision Design HDMI to Mini-HDMI (C) Gold Audio/Video Cable (6')
♦ 11) Precision Design Cleaning Kit
♦ 12) Precision Design 8 SD / 2 MicroSD Memory Card Case
♦ 13) Precision Design LCD Screen Protectors

So bottom line, go through a authorized dealer?

Yes... also make sure you are getting a product with a valid warranty. In North America markets you can find "USA" and "Imported" versions -- they're actually both imported... but the difference is a "USA" version is imported by the manufacturer and intended for sale in that market AND backed by a manufacturer's warranty. An "Imported" version was imported by someone else, is considered "gray market" gear, and the manufacturer will not provide a warranty. Sometimes the camera store will tell you that they honor the warranty themselves... but the manufacturer is going to be much better at service than a store.

The second kit has all this stuff...again I have no idea what any of this is, but seems to be a good "beginner" kit

♦ 1) Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Bundle
♦ 2) Transcend 64GB SDXC Class 10 Ultra Speed Ultimate Card
♦ 3) Precision Design DSLR300 Flash
♦ 4) Precision Design GP-1 GPS Geotag Adapter
♦ 5) Xit MB-D15 Pro Series Battery Grip
♦ 6) Spare EN-EL15 Battery
♦ 7) Precision Design 58mm & 67mm UV Glass Filters
♦ 8) Precision Design ML-L3 Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control
♦ 9) Precision Design PD-FD300 Bounce Flash Diffuser
♦ 10) Precision Design HDMI to Mini-HDMI (C) Gold Audio/Video Cable (6')
♦ 11) Precision Design Cleaning Kit
♦ 12) Precision Design 8 SD / 2 MicroSD Memory Card Case
♦ 13) Precision Design LCD Screen Protectors

Lots of stuff for sure.

The more important things to consider are; the camera body, which lenses, and the warranty. (See TCampbell's post)

Please compare the exact same body, same lens(es) and make sure it is covered by a warranty while price shopping.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back