Help editing out camera profile affect

epeddy1

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife uses a Panasonic HC-V700 camcorder which will snap still shots while she's shooting. They all come out with the same profile where the color looks off. I know that the poor lighting and poor camera quality doesn't help, but there's something else about these pics that I just can't put my finger on and can't seem to fix with Photoshop. It seems like there's some extra magenta and blue scattered about. Is it just extreme noise that can't be fixed? Does anybody have any tips? No expectations that the end result will be portrait quality, but I'd like to at least be able to print the cute candid ones.

The attached is a sample. Any other low light shot looks very similar.

$S1610001.JPG

$candid.jpg

Any better?

I shifted the white balance yellow/green -- you're assessment of a blue/magenta problem was correct. I lightened the photo, raised the contrast a lot and filtered out some noise. Normally I'd sharpen it some as well but given the noise I passed on that one.

Joe

View attachment 79108

Any better?

I shifted the white balance yellow/green -- you're assessment of a blue/magenta problem was correct. I lightened the photo, raised the contrast a lot and filtered out some noise. Normally I'd sharpen it some as well but given the noise I passed on that one.

Joe

Yes, much better! When you say "I shifted the white balance yellow/green", can that be done in Lightroom? I typically use LR so am hoping to setup a camera profile that can make the fix for all these photos when they come.

Thanks again

$79103d1405037985-help-editing-out-camera-profile-affect-s1610001.jpg
Here's a quick edit. Adjusted exposure in levels then used color balance and added some reds. Increased contrast.

View attachment 79108

Any better?

Joe

Yes, much better! When you say "I shifted the white balance yellow/green", can that be done in Lightroom? I typically use LR so am hoping to setup a camera profile that can make the fix for all these photos when they come.

Thanks again

Yes, you can use LR. The white balance controls in LR are in the Basic set under the Development tab -- temp and tint. Temp is yellow/blue and tint is magenta/green. You saw the blue/magenta problem in the photo so go the other way. LR also gives you the white balance sampler dropper. You can use that to sample something in the photo that really was white and that will shift the photo's white balance. The tissue paper in the red bag was white and makes a good sample point. A temp value of 20 and tint value of -8 will reproduce the color in my version. I concentrated on setting the young girl's skin color to average.

Use the exposure adjustment then to lighten the photo (+.5) and raise the contrast (+40) and you'll be very close to what I did. LR's noise processing isn't as sophisticated as what I used but it'll do a respectable job. Raise the Luminance value until you're happy with the result.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back