Help me get my first proper camera!

Muusers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys n gals,

I'm just new to the forum so be gentle. :)

Lately I've been really getting into photography since I got my Samsung Omnia. Taking pictures of everything I see, now comes the time to upgrade to a proper beginner camera, especially since I'm visiting New York City in 5 weeks time!!

I've been thinking about the Nikon D40 but I haven't really got a clue where to start when it comes to lenses. Sure, I've done some reading up but all those technical terms mean nothing to me. I'm sure you guys can help me out right there. ;)

Muusers

First Off Welcome;
Second ask yourself what do you want?
A starter camera?
What type of photography?
What Budget?
Which Lenses & Their Costs...?

IMHO
d40 = starter
d 60 = cant handle many lenses
d80 = ehh its better than the aboves XD

Well I'm thinking around 350 euros for an allround camera + lens. Something that'll last for a while on amateur-level. I've got no intensions on going professional.

That's 494 USD wont get you too far unless refurbished (which IS an Option) but remember you'll need carry case; memory card; tripod; Filters; which arent too pricey but sum up to a few bucks; in this "hobby" you will keep on Spending....it's a vice :D

My experience, Doesn't matter photography or anything else for that matter.

Look at what you will need for a "main" system. basic Camera and lens.

Plan on spending that much on accessories for it. Lens covers, bags, tripods, flashes, etc.

That's just a general rule of thumb.

With camera's, focus on the glass I have learned. As with guns. Buy the best glass you can afford, and even then, spend a little bit more on it.

But why would I need a seperate flash, extra lenses and all that other fancy stuff when I'm just getting into it? I mean, I can buy all those things later on right?

What's in my bag other than my camera and lens.

WhiBal White balance card.
Lens wipes.
lens brush
bulb blower
Sensor cleaning kit.
Tripod
Monopod
Spare battery
Small LED flashlight. (for those nights you stay out longer than you though you would)
Polarizing filters
Red filter (high contrast for B&W pictures)
spare memory Card. (I got two Kingston 8 GB cards for $22 each) Each card is good for about 530-550 large sized RAW images.

I haven't even gotten into a flash or bunch of "fancy" things yet.

I have a Nikon D90. Nikkor 16-85 VR f/3.5-4.5, Nikkor 70-300 VR f/4.5-5.6 and the nikkor 50mm f/1.8

I would (and am in the process for myself) recommend getting the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8. I find myself a lot of time shooting pictures from f/7.1 to f/11. There are a LOT of times lately, I have had to shoot at f/2.8 or f/3.1 with my 50mm. and that's bumping the ISO to 1250 and shutter speed to 1/200. Flashes weren't allowed at the event I was taking pictures.

On a lot of the outdoor portraits, landscapes and stuff I have been doing, I REALLY wish I had an off camera flash. The strobist blog can help show you that.

I have been really let down with the amount of help the on camera flash does for me. So the pennies will be saved for a nice off-camera set-up. And even that is looking to be more "in-expensive" than a guy thinks.

For those that are getting into their first SLR camera ... you will tend to get one that fits your budget.

You can only figure out what you really need ... after you work with your first SLR and lens.

Get the kit lens 18-55mm ... that should be fine unless you want to spend a lot more money. I do not believe that Nikon offers the 40D with a different lens in the kit.

Forget about buying flashes or additional lenses for now.
You will figure that out AFTER you work with the camera ...

So then what would be a good camera for me to start with?

Whatever you can afford. They are all nearly equal in the entry level.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back