Help me Solve my 60d vs 70d dilemma

SnapsVito

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'll make this one quick.
I picked up a canon 60d with 35-135mm & 70-300mm lenses.
Later I found another place has the 70d for the same price, but with the 18-55mm & 55-250mm.
I do mostly photography but also a little videography. I plan on doing action shots like parkour-ish video, but I'm not getting my hopes up because I know how DSLR videos get with focus, however the 70d has a better video focusing system.
It's mostly for photography though. The real question is given the same price, 60d with nicer lenses or 70d with lesser-quality lenses?

Later I found another place has the 70d for the same price, but with the 18-55mm & 55-250mm.
I do mostly photography but also a little videography. I plan on doing action shots like parkour-ish video, but I'm not getting my hopes up because I know how DSLR videos get with focus, however the 70d has a better video focusing system.
It's mostly for photography though. The real question is given the same price, 60d with nicer lenses or 70d with lesser-quality lenses?

I guess my first question would be what sort of pictures are you taking? Really the biggest advantages to the 70d over the 60d is going to be shooting speed - the 70d has higher FPS but even more significantly much less shutter lag, It also has a better autofocusing system. So if your planning on doing a lot of sports or action photography that might be a consideration. if your doing more portrait, landscapes, etc you might be better off keeping the 60d and the better glass and then looking at upgrading the body later.

Being a guy who always like to go with best body possible for the money my vote goes for the 70D.
60D has old sensor while 70D is a modern new camera.

I guess my first question would be what sort of pictures are you taking? Really the biggest advantages to the 70d over the 60d is going to be shooting speed - the 70d has higher FPS but even more significantly much less shutter lag, It also has a better autofocusing system. So if your planning on doing a lot of sports or action photography that might be a consideration. if your doing more portrait, landscapes, etc you might be better off keeping the 60d and the better glass and then looking at upgrading the body later.

Well my current camera is the Rebel XTi with a pretty terrible telephoto, so I haven't done much action shots because my current setup just isn't very capable. Is the 60d still alright with action photography?

Well my current camera is the Rebel XTi with a pretty terrible telephoto, so I haven't done much action shots because my current setup just isn't very capable. Is the 60d still alright with action photography?

Oh sure, the 60d is rated at 5.3 Frames per second so it should be just fine for action shots. The 70d fires faster of course, at 7 frames per second. So if your planning on doing a lot of action photography the 70d would be the better option. The other big difference will be the autofocus systems, the 60d has 9 focus points, the 70d has 19 - so you'll have some more options with the 70d as far as autofocus is concerned which can make a difference especially with a moving target.

The 70D is 10D more than the 60D. :lol:

I bought a 60D about 5 months ago now. I really like the camera, for most of the things that I'm shooting it works out great. I'm not too happy with it's low light performance or with working above iso1600 though. It is a great value now that the 70d was released though, depending on what you intend to use it for

Most reactions

New Topics

Back