Help me spend my tax money...

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so as many of you know I was recently unemployed and had to sell a lot of my camera gear to stay on my feet.

I've now got a job, and am looking to build my collection back up. Unfortunately my taxes are only ~$850 this year, but it's a start. I currently only have a d80 and 50 1.8.

You all know that I shoot mostly sports. I had a sigma 70-200 HSM II that I absolutely loved. I'm strongly considering just grabbing another one of them because they are so so versatile for my shooting style.

However I have other options to consider as my d80 is starting to act a little funky and show its age (error codes occasionally, buttons sticking).

Other options:
1- sell d80, combine money and pick up used d7000 body. I'd only have the 50 still but I've wanted a d7k since before they came out.

2- sell d80, pick up d90 body for ~$500, take additional $600 or so and put it towards getting another lens (sigma 70-200, or maybe a 300 f/4 or something else)

3- put it all in a savings account towards a new car (but being responsible isn't fun and I'm about to pick up a second job to save for a new car anyway)

Whaddya think?

I'd go with option 2. Unless you can live without the 70-200, then option 1 is the other choice.

Option #2 sounds like a good option, out of those three...D90's pretty decent for the price it's at right now...and "just" a 50/1.8 makes life kinda' difficult...being able to allocate that other $600 or so for another lens sounds mighty good to me.

Where do you live to find a d90 for
$500? Lol. I'd pay a finders fee lol!

I think this depends on how reliable your current car is. If you really need a new car and the one you have takes a dive then you have two jobs you can't get to because you have no car. I would save that money toward a new car and take the money from the second job and save that for new photo equipment. Priorities.

D90 body-only for $500 is pretty fair. I picked one up with an 18-55 and only 2,800 shutter clicks for $500 :D

And to the OP: Option 2 does sound like the best option.

I think this depends on how reliable your current car is. If you really need a new car and the one you have takes a dive then you have two jobs you can't get to because you have no car. I would save that money toward a new car and take the money from the second job and save that for new photo equipment. Priorities.

Responsible people are no fun, but your probably right.

However I take good care of my gear, and if my car took a dump I could get 95% of my money back out of the camera gear within a week.

D90 body-only for $500 is pretty fair. I found one with an 18-55 and only 2,800 shutter clicks for $500 :D

Was just going to say this. Take a look at ebay, they're going between $500 and $600 all day long. I've seen them go as low as $460, but that's not often.

Destin said:
Was just going to say this. Take a look at ebay, they're going between $500 and $600 all day long. I've seen them go as low as $460, but that's not often.

I should troll eBay more often. I haven't seen too many that low. The only onethat low said they need service. I suppose if I'm patient, I can find one on eBay. I was thinking of the d90. I might have to take a ride to NY. I'm not buying an d90 for 800 bucks body only. There's better options lol.

Back back on topic, if you were happy using the d80 and the sigma 70-200, then the d90 with the same lens would be my first choice.

I'd say put it all into savings for a new lens - get that Sigma 70-200mm back or better save up for a Nikon 70-200mm VR II (you're already 1/3rd of the way there provided you can keep your jobs and put a little aside each month).

Ok so that might be pushing things a bit and yet it might not. Personally I'd sit down and work out a long term plan. What lenses and bodies do you really (and within limits of sanity) want to own. Work this out as best you can and then have a look at what's on the list - I'd focus on bodies, flashes, lighting gear first then bodies (unless you want to format change - eg to full frame then factor that in as the very first step).
Once you've got a good list you can start working out how long it will take - what parts you really want to get first and if there are any areas where you'd be willing to compromise on the ideal in order to get something sooner (always an important thing to consider, esp if one aims for any highgrade lenses - no point waiting 5 years or more saving for the perfect lens and not able to shoot - best to get something serviceable and good to tide you over).

Also get your priorities straight, you don't need a bed, a sheet on the ground is all you need (you can sell that carpet too). And do you really need more than one plate knife and fork - ok maybe two but no more - sell that dishware - but hang onto that camera gear ;)

Destin said:
Responsible people are no fun, but your probably right.

However I take good care of my gear, and if my car took a dump I could get 95% of my money back out of the camera gear within a week.

Right - just make sure you can get to work for that week. I am not trying to be a downer but I was a gnat's ass away from bankruptcy once because of an accident and the ensuing financial trouble. I now keep my priorities such that I always have a fall back. Just food for thought. Good luck with whatever you do. I'd go with the D90 as well if you decide to go that route.

Send the D80 to be serviced by Nikon. Buy the Sigma lens... you may have to save a little depending on the cost of the repairs to the camera.

Keep your eye on the Buff craigslist. There's a guy on there that I am pretty sure is fencing stolen goods, but you can get some cheap deals from him if you aren't ever going to report your serials to the insurance or anything!

MLeeK said:
Send the D80 to be serviced by Nikon. Buy the Sigma lens... you may have to save a little depending on the cost of the repairs to the camera.

Why would I do this rather than buy a d90? Lol

And I've been watching the buff cl. Some good deals for sure.

Just getting the lenses you need to shoot what you shoot. You can make due for what you do with the D80 body repaired until next year at tax time. Or until you have saved.

Most reactions

Back