Help Needed with Photoshop Actions

brush

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm working on a project that could be GREATLY simplified using photoshop actions if they can do what I want. I've got about 60 different PSD files, all various sizes & resolutions, but every one of 'em has a layer that's just a persons name. What I want to do is have the action go into the file, and change John Doe to Jane Doe. When I record it, it works perfectly, but sets the font size and other effects during the "set current text layer" part of the action instead of just changing the words. The end result is that every banner from the smallest size (120x20) to the largest size (2048xsomething I can't remember) all have the same size text when I change the name...and that's obviously no bueno. Any ideas?

Problem is I'm not even specifying it at all, so choosing percent vs pixels won't really matter in this case. The layer already exists as it should and it's different in every file (not the same pixels, not the same percent, no the same position) and when I record the action all I record is "select layer - Jane" and then "type text - John" but what it translates that to is "set text layer text:John Size:blah blah Color:blah blah Position:Blah Blah" etc etc etc, defining every parameter of the text layer, instead of just changing the 1 parameter I actually modified.

For yesterday's task since I didn't have a quick solution I just went through the files 1 by 1 & manually changed 'em. It was tedious but got the job done. This task comes up frequently, so I think unless somebody comes up with a better solution what I'll do next time is convert the name layer to a smart object, then place that object in every file & size/position it how I want. That way instead of running an action to modify each file I'll just have to open the PSB of the smart object & change the name once, then run an action that renders a new jpg from each of the psd files.

Most reactions

Back