What's new

Lumix G85 4K Photo Open Gate Video Sample

VidThreeNorth

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Oct 21, 2016
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
506
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This test got its start Jan 15, 2025 when I found that "Ordinary Filmmaker" had posted his YouTube video "The Truth About Open Gate":

""​


According to that video, the Open Gate issue had been ongoing. In fact, I had run into it before, but I have no current interest in buying another camera, so I have not considered it important. But while watching that video, an "old memory" started to awaken, and I posted a question whether my G85 or my Sony a6400 had a open gate capabilities? In a response, "@aldolega" reminded me that it was called "4K Photo" in the G85. I took the time and checked both cameras. The a6400 does not support open gate (at least I didn't find a way to work it) but yes, "4K Photo" does support it. There are a few options to control its use (mainly the button control definitions), and after checking the settings, I ran a few tests and successfully made "4K Photo" video clips.

On the G85, the "4K Photo" clips are NOT regular UHD files. The actual image resolution is 3328 x 2496. It is only in 8-bit the file frame rate is ~30 fps. I uploaded a sample file which is about 2:20 long. Some file measurements are:

size 1,662,424,984 bytes (1,623,462 KB)
Data rate 94,181 kbps
Total bit-rate 94,307 kbps

I uploaded it directly to YouTube. I don't know what YouTube did to it, but it certainly "processed" to some extent. I didn't notice a change, but we'll see if anyone else does.

"250115 Lumix G85 4K Photo Video Sample" uploaded as:

""​
 
I have been hoping for weather changes to continue with a project which I hope will combine "4k Photo" clips. This winter has been basically overcast, but today I planned for and got a reasonably sunny day. So this was my second clip in this set. I decreased the exposure to EV= -1 to keep the highlights in-bounds. I'm hoping to get at least one more clip this Winter with another change. Length 2:11:

 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom