Help new lense ideas??

Weikel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am tasked with finding my wife a new lens for her birthday .. she believes herself to be a photographer but she is defiantly a rookie so I need a decent autofocus on this lens as well. The kind of lense she wants is some sort of lense that can zoom in a for taking portraits. I guess being like 15 feet away but still being able to zoom in and focus if that makes sense. If anyone can post a couple suggestions for lenses I would really appreciate it.. oh and if the lenses could double as some sort of macro lens for shooting photos of my reef tank even better:)!!!

Price point 500ish

Current camera. Nikon d3000
Curreent Lenses 18-55 mm af-nikkor and 55-300mm af-nikkor

Last edited:
You won't find a lens with fast auto focus, zoom, macro and wide aperture (good for portraits).

I would suggest the Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8. No zoom, no macro, but excellent picture quality for the price, and just about perfect for portraits. Pick one up used if you can.

I'd consider any of the 24MP Nikon DX bodies first. that old camera is old and tired.

if a lens is must, I think a 35mm 1.8g or 50mm 1.8g would be a good first choice.

Last edited:
I have this one on my 'to get' list, the Micro 40mm. No zoom but it's good for portraits and is good for macro and works on a DX camera. And it's not too pricey, either.

The Micro 40mm is a great lens, but is in my opinion, not very good for portraits. This is of course a case of personal preference, you should check out for yourself what you prefer; you already have the focal lengths in question.

I would also advise that if you are willing to budget for around 500.... then maybe look for a newer Camera with a lens bundle...? some outlets will allow you to negotiate which lenses can be included in 'the bundle'.... so you could opt for the standard 18-55mm... and then maybe either go for the 55-200mm or 70-300mm

But you don't need to be a purist either..... Sigma and Tamron both do excellent lenses for the Nikon range

so you could opt for the standard 18-55mm... and then maybe either go for the 55-200mm or 70-300mm
I'm curious as to why he would buy his wife the same two lenses she already owns...

so you could opt for the standard 18-55mm... and then maybe either go for the 55-200mm or 70-300mm
I'm curious as to why he would buy his wife the same two lenses she already owns...

Good Point.......lol... I didn't notice the lenses she already has at the bottom of the dialogue..... my apologies....
In which case, I would agree with 'STK's post of an 85mm lens..... as an addition to her existing lenses... (as well as a newer camera)

Agree with Braineack. 50 1.8 is a great lens for portraits on a crop sensor camera. If space is limited (15 ft)the 85mm on a crop could be too tight.

For $500 you could get her an upgraded 3400 camera body (used or refurb is the way to go) and the 50 1.8. You would be a hero.

I'd go for a used D80/D90 and a 80-200mm 2.8 push pull.

I second the body suggestion with a 50 prime.

Maybe a used 60mm f/2.8 G-series Micro~NIKKOR....it's a Nikon-made macro lens, with the in-lens AF-S focusing motor that her D3000 requires for autofocusing, and it could shot fish tank pictures. I always suggested people buy macro lenses as USED lenses!!!

If I read the OP right the macro option is for HIS purposes, while the portraits is more his wife's line.
The kit zoom's already give good general flexibility so I'd recommend the 50 /1.8 prime which would be perfect for portraits & give a lot of other additions to the shooting options due to it's aperture.
This lens falls well within his budget allowing a further purchase, which could be a body upgrade (I don't see any problem with older bodies though - I have one myself & it also applies to my cameras...) I'd be inclined to include a Raynox DCR150 to give close up/macro options without making the whole purchase look like it was done more with his purposes in mind :)

Although the OP repeatedly uses zoom in I get the impression he's just referring to filling the frame from longer distances.

On a crop body the 50mm gives close to the ideal portrait focal length, would give good full length portraits from around the 15' he mentions as well as giving pleasing perspective for head & shoulder portraits (by not getting the photographer to move too close in).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back