Help on picking between 2 lenses

rrh_hirst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to get a new telephoto lens. I do mostly sports and wildlife photography. I am looking at the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200MM f/2.8 ED VR II LENS, and the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HMS for NIKON could some one tell me the pros and cons between these two lenses. Thank you for all of your help.

What body will it be used on and if DX do you think you'll ever upgrade to FX? I ask because the Nikkor 70-200F2.8 VR1 is a hell of a great lens, a super duper lens at incredible savings if you run a DX. The VRII version is somewhat better in the corners which makes no difference on DX bodies and actually from what I've read the VR1 is sharper in the middle?

That said the Nikkor lens is the very culmination of technology and optics. It's screaming fast to focus even in very dim light. It's sharp wide open. It's my most favorite lens.

All I can say about the Sigma is that you get what you pay for. Not a knock on it at all, I've never used one but just pointing out that the Nikkor is very expensive and worthy of every penny.

Look here

IMHO, stay with the make of the camera!

With that said, Sigma is making some great products from what I hear. I just do not own any at this time.

For the time being I am on a DX but plan on upgrading to a FX as soon as possible (wont be that soon because of funds :/ )

What body will it be used on and if DX do you think you'll ever upgrade to FX? I ask because the Nikkor 70-200F2.8 VR1 is a hell of a great lens, a super duper lens at incredible savings if you run a DX. The VRII version is somewhat better in the corners which makes no difference on DX bodies and actually from what I've read the VR1 is sharper in the middle?

That said the Nikkor lens is the very culmination of technology and optics. It's screaming fast to focus even in very dim light. It's sharp wide open. It's my most favorite lens.

All I can say about the Sigma is that you get what you pay for. Not a knock on it at all, I've never used one but just pointing out that the Nikkor is very expensive and worthy of every penny.

Do you by any chance have any recomindation to get the nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VR1 all I can find is the 2

Craigslist.org I found mine there for $1350 and sold it later for a little more. I see them range from $1200 but most are in the $1500 range im my area.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back