Help: One Strobe + Nikon SB600 Speedlight (Lighting positioning advice)

captive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New member here to this forum :)

I've been taking photos for awhile now, whilst I have a deep passion and interest for photography, I thought I'd finally take the plunge in setting up a basic home studio.... (lighting is simply awesome).

I'm currently working with a Nikon D90, and SB600 Speedlight.

To start off with, I've purchased the following:

- one flash strobe (build w/modelling light)-- has slave option
- one 80cm softbox and support stand
- basic white backdrop and support stand.
- radio receiver and transmitter for wireless flash control

Now, working on a budget, the advice I received from the store was that I could use the one strobe as the main light, and set the Nikon SB600 as a fill light. Both the strobe and speedlight on pressing the shutter.

I have the strobe on the left at 45 angle (3 feet from the subject). And the Sb600 on the right also on a stand, same angle facing the subject. However speedlight is abit further back.

Only problem is, when I have the subject in place, there are unwanted shadows of her, which is difficult to eliminate. This also happens upon taking the photo of her full body. (Shes standing about 1m from the backdrop).

Now am I doing something wrong? are the lights positioned incorrectly? should I position the speedlight in a different direction to remove the shadows?.

Like I said, ideally this is my first setup working with primarily one strobe, and of course its not as good as two strobes. What tecniques could i apply in order to remove the shadows (besides photoshop).

Any advice on the equipment, setup or technical aspects would be highly appreciated.

Thank You :)

Welcome to TPF.

I have the strobe on the left at 45 angle (3 feet from the subject). And the Sb600 on the right also on a stand, same angle facing the subject. However speedlight is abit further back.
This setup will produce flat lighting resulting in virtually no shadow. You will want to have some shadow to create that third dimension. The fill flash should be very close to the lens axis. I would also suggest having it on the same side of the camera as the key light to smooth the transition.

Only problem is, when I have the subject in place, there are unwanted shadows of her, which is difficult to eliminate. This also happens upon taking the photo of her full body. (Shes standing about 1m from the backdrop).
Where are the shadows coming from? Something must be disrupting the light pattern. Can you post an example.

If I could make one more suggestion. Get a good reflector because you can use that as a fill light and use the SB-600 as a hair or background light.

Welcome to TPF.

The fill flash should be very close to the lens axis. I would also suggest having it on the same side of the camera as the key light to smooth the transition.

Hi and thanks for the response. When you stated close to the lens axis, you mean basically it should be in line as to where my camera is positioned?.

Where are the shadows coming from? Something must be disrupting the light pattern. Can you post an example.

The shadows are of the subject's body. All falling onto the white backdrop, shadows are leaning towards the right, about 2 o'clock.
I'm not at home at the moment to upload the photos sorry.

If I could make one more suggestion. Get a good reflector because you can use that as a fill light and use the SB-600 as a hair or background light.≈

Reflector would only be useful for headshots, is that correct? How about full body shots?.

Would love to try the speedlight technique.

Thanks for that.

Welcome to TPF.

The fill flash should be very close to the lens axis. I would also suggest having it on the same side of the camera as the key light to smooth the transition.

Hi and thanks for the response. When you stated close to the lens axis, you mean basically it should be in line as to where my camera is positioned?.

The shadows are of the subject's body. All falling onto the white backdrop, shadows are leaning towards the right, about 2 o'clock.

If I could make one more suggestion. Get a good reflector because you can use that as a fill light and use the SB-600 as a hair or background light.≈

Reflector would only be useful for headshots, is that correct? How about full body shots?.

Would love to try the speedlight technique.

Thanks for that.

You need to get your lights up higher, so that the shadow falls on the floor. Or at least that's what I've been taught... or get w 3rd light to light the backdrop. Generally when shooting a white backdrop (to get it pure white) you want to light it seperately from the subject and overexpose it 2 stops.

Yes. Try it and limit the distance of the fill 18" from the camera.

Okay, I missread it initially. Move the subject further away from the background and your light closer (just out of frame). Adjust power of the flash as required. As Destin suggested, increase the deight of your light. Typically, the key light should be coming in at about 45° from above.

Depends on the size of the reflector. Although this video is shooting outdoors, the same principles apply for indoors. Increase the size of your light source.

I'm betting you have no light modifier on the SB-600 and you are getting hard edged shadows because the light source is to small. You can put an umbrella bracket and an umbrella on the SB-600 stand for about $30 USD.

An 80 cm (31.5") softbox is pretty small, and only big enough for doing head and shoulder shots.

Thanks everyone for your tips and guidance.. I'll apply these techniques next time round with a willing subject..

@ KmH, Forgot to mention I do have a mini softbox diffuser for the SB600, quite a small one that folds out into a rectangular shape.

At the time testing the both the strobe + sb600 on a subject, I did not attach the softbox. Hopefully this could eliminate the shadows, combined with the techniques as suggested?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back