Help please from the Pros - Where did I go wrong?

Well... like Overread said, "its not a print you are selling... (it) is the image you are selling..."

Based on the images you posted here, you didn't have anything special to offer. I think you realize this. You asked, "Who'd buy one from me, if Mom got the same shot?" If this approach is going to work, you'll have to offer work that's NOT the same as Mom's.

Good luck with the motorcross gig.

– Pete

I probably do have some spectacular shots, but like I said, I shot over 2300 photos in the last 2 days and have to go through them and see.. One of the problems I had was I was alone and could only spend 10-15 minutes at that game to get photos before moving to the next one.. Mom wanted her son #18 with some action shots, but little #18 never got the ball, or I had only a couple of chances to shoot when it did get to him... when that happened, he could have been on the other end of the field. I wish I had 5 photographers, but - alas, it was just me. I agree that I'm not a professional award winning sports photographer, but I also think that I'm a better photographer with better equipment than 90% of the adults there. (Those 10% don't need me anyway..) I'm my biggest and harshest critic - and I realize I need to improve, and obtain better lens's - but the majority of these folks werent' photo critics, they are soccer moms that can't get these shots with their disposables. I honestly believe there was a real good market here - I don't think I handled the marketing the best I could. I originally kinna' scoffed at KmH when he said, "Give me $75 and I'll shoot your kid", but the more I think about that, the more I think he's right! (Perhaps not $75, this is a small Idaho town..) But - I did spend some valuable time shooting kids and never saw the parents later that day - if they'd made a financial commitment BEFORE I went out, I'd almost ensure more sales. Like I said - this was quite a learning experience, and I DID learn... Not only from my weekend, but from you folks here also.. BTW gsgary, a beautiful dog shot!! Hopefully I can take shots like that in the future - I love photography, and really want to use that after I retire this August.. Just need to practice techniques, and get better 'business' ideas... I'm a willing and quick learner..

thanks,

Well... like Overread said, "its not a print you are selling... (it) is the image you are selling..."

Based on the images you posted here, you didn't have anything special to offer. I think you realize this. You asked, "Who'd buy one from me, if Mom got the same shot?" If this approach is going to work, you'll have to offer work that's NOT the same as Mom's.

Good luck with the motorcross gig.

– Pete

I agree with Pete. In some respects the challenge was extremely difficult.
As one person suggested, more than one photographer is necessary. Moreover to get the best shots, location, fast zoom lenses and a good fps speed on the camera are helpful.

Even with that, it is hard to get the eyes in a soccer shot and that is what really adds to any sports shot. You did not present any shots around the goal, either. Composing a great sports shot in a fraction of a second is not an instantly learned skill irrespective of technical issues.

I tend to take a different approach to sports events and it is not a main activity for me. I cover a sports event as more a photojouralist, paid by an organization such as perhaps a local paper, school board, athletic association etc. Public relations use is also the end result of some of my photos. If parents approach and want shots too, it is just icing on the cake, but I am still being paid, no matter what.

skieur

I probably do have some spectacular shots, but like I said, I shot over 2300 photos in the last 2 days and have to go through them and see.. One of the problems I had was I was alone and could only spend 10-15 minutes at that game to get photos before moving to the next one.. Mom wanted her son #18 with some action shots, but little #18 never got the ball, or I had only a couple of chances to shoot when it did get to him... when that happened, he could have been on the other end of the field. I wish I had 5 photographers, but - alas, it was just me. I agree that I'm not a professional award winning sports photographer, but I also think that I'm a better photographer with better equipment than 90% of the adults there. (Those 10% don't need me anyway..) I'm my biggest and harshest critic - and I realize I need to improve, and obtain better lens's - but the majority of these folks werent' photo critics, they are soccer moms that can't get these shots with their disposables. I honestly believe there was a real good market here - I don't think I handled the marketing the best I could. I originally kinna' scoffed at KmH when he said, "Give me $75 and I'll shoot your kid", but the more I think about that, the more I think he's right! (Perhaps not $75, this is a small Idaho town..) But - I did spend some valuable time shooting kids and never saw the parents later that day - if they'd made a financial commitment BEFORE I went out, I'd almost ensure more sales. Like I said - this was quite a learning experience, and I DID learn... Not only from my weekend, but from you folks here also.. BTW gsgary, a beautiful dog shot!! Hopefully I can take shots like that in the future - I love photography, and really want to use that after I retire this August.. Just need to practice techniques, and get better 'business' ideas... I'm a willing and quick learner..

thanks,

What equipment are you using ? the dog shot was with a 5D and 300mmF2.8L ISO3200, F3.2, 1/640, i used the 5D instead of my 1D because it's better at handling the noise

Used a Canon 450D with a 75-300 f/4 5.6 zoom... Certainly not the best, but all I have right now.. Already primed the wife for another purchase in the near future.. ;)

Any suggestions in the $6-700 price range for this type of photography?

I would look into one of the 70-200mm L lens options (f4 or f2.8). I can't mention which one would best fit your budget as I don't know the american price market - also consider maybe going for a higher level model second hand as L lenses tend to retiain their quality (though they also keep a good part of their price second hand as well)

Don't mean to turn this into a 'lens discussion', but it's relavent to what I'm doing.. I was lookiing at the Tamron 18-270 3.5-6.3 VC - it's supposed to be equivalent to a 28-410mm.. I need something that will get completely across the field that wont' break my bank acct - I think the Tamron is about $7-800 american and that's pushing it right now, but I've heard good things about it.. ?? I'm not opposed to 2nd hand either.. :mrgreen:

Also - what do you think about me providing a percentage of sales back to the Mx Track for some advance - and trackside publicity?

tks,

Used a Canon 450D with a 75-300 f/4 5.6 zoom... Certainly not the best, but all I have right now.. Already primed the wife for another purchase in the near future.. ;)

Any suggestions in the $6-700 price range for this type of photography?

I would keep saving because i don't think your budget will get you a 70-200F2.8L you don't need the IS model for this type of shooting, look for secondhand top quality L lenses, a 300mmF2.8L is perfect for this or maybe a Sigma 120-300F2.8

Don't mean to turn this into a 'lens discussion', but it's relavent to what I'm doing.. I was lookiing at the Tamron 18-270 3.5-6.3 VC - it's supposed to be equivalent to a 28-410mm.. I need something that will get completely across the field that wont' break my bank acct - I think the Tamron is about $7-800 american and that's pushing it right now, but I've heard good things about it.. ?? I'm not opposed to 2nd hand either.. :mrgreen:

Also - what do you think about me providing a percentage of sales back to the Mx Track for some advance - and trackside publicity?

tks,

Don't even go there that lens is worse than the one you have, no good for sports you need F2.8 the Tamron 70-200F2.8 is good

Just got home for lunch and there was a msg from the tournament director wondering where all the pictures were - he's getting EMails from several people who want to see them.......... I have a ton of 5-9meg files to upload and last night it took 15 minutes for 10 pics (DSL) (Smugmug) - is there a way I can reduce these files to a managable size for uploading (Batch process preferrably) and what file size would be good if they wanted to buy a 11x14 at the maximum .. ?

Thank God I have plenty of Blood Pressure pills !!! :lmao:

you could try transfering the data to a memory stick or in a pinch use a camera memory card and cardreader (don't use the camera). And then take the setup to a cybercafe - they are likley to have a fast connection that you could use to upload your data to the net.
otherwise edit the files - click upload - go to bed and leave your computer on (and say a short prayer/wish that nothing goes wrong whilst you sleep

You don't want or need to upload files that big. You can get free software that will batch resize and watermark. Resize and watermark them to 400x600 and then upload.

www.FastStone.org

As far as 11x14, how are you doing order fulfillment?

Just got home for lunch and there was a msg from the tournament director wondering where all the pictures were - he's getting EMails from several people who want to see them.......... I have a ton of 5-9meg files to upload and last night it took 15 minutes for 10 pics (DSL) (Smugmug) - is there a way I can reduce these files to a managable size for uploading (Batch process preferrably) and what file size would be good if they wanted to buy a 11x14 at the maximum .. ?

Thank God I have plenty of Blood Pressure pills !!! :lmao:

This is a great free program size them to 600x800 and they will soon load up
FastStone Photo Resizer - Powerful Image Converter/Resizer

Most reactions

New Topics

Back