help please, i want a new lens

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
after my most recent purchase ofa 55-200mm lens im stuck between a few options for my next

50mm prime
?-300mm
a close up macro (my phone has a very good close up macro option so this isnt on the top of my list)
35mm prime

im not into portraits at the moment, just a lot of nature, on the spot, on scene photography photojournalism type stuff, abstract, still lifes

Two key questions -

1) budget - how much have you to spend?

2) you list a series of cameras and brands in your signature - which setup is this new lens for?

I assume the lens is for the Nikon, since the rest of the cameras are film cameras.

On an APS-C crop-frame DSLR, the 35mm prime fits the need for most "on the spot, on the scene photography photojournalism" uses. You said "nature" but then qualified that while it could be macro, that need wasn't high on the list (although you'll find a WORLD of difference between what a "true" 1:1 scale macro lens can provide vs. a phone in close-up mode.)

Since you specifically said you're not into portraits, I'd nudge you more in the direction of the 35mm and less in the direction of the 50mm. A 35mm provides a more "normal" angle of view for street photography. The longer focal length of the 50 is great for portraits... but you said you aren't into those.

You also mentioned the ?-300mm zoom. A zoom such as this is great for shooting wildlife, birding, and other distance photos where you don't want to scare away the wildlife and you don't want the wildlife to chase you down and have you for lunch (in which case I'd suggest that 300mm is not nearly long enough.) It's also nice for shots where you're not allowed to approach the action. And while this comment isn't intended to inflame anyone, a lens should never be purchased because the photographer is too lazy to move to the right spot to take the shot. But you already have the 55-200mm. You'll find that the difference between 200mm and 300mm isn't as much as you might think. It's a 50% increase... not a 100% increase (or more). Sure there's a difference... but it's not a dramatic difference.

I suspect you'll be happiest with the 35mm prime.

Whenever I buy any new lens, I leave everything else at home and go shooting with it. Force yourself to adapt and learn to use it until you're comfortable with it.

thanks for the tips tim, my current budget would be 3-400 for the lens, you made good points with the 50mm and the 300mm.

since i already have a 50mm prime for my film camera it might be a best option to go with the 35mm prime for my nikon. now, whats the difference between setting my 18-55mm lens to 35mm and a 35mm prime? is there better quality with a prime lens than a lens with zoom capabilities?

back in high school i mainly used the 50mm for my photography classes.

should i practice with my 18-55 set at 35mm to get a feel for it first?

Last edited:
thanks for the tips ken, my current budget would be 3-400 for the lens, you made good points with the 50mm and the 300mm.

since i already have a 50mm prime for my film camera it might be a best option to go with the 35mm prime for my nikon. now, whats the difference between setting my 18-55mm lens to 35mm and a 35mm prime? is there better quality with a prime lens than a lens with zoom capabilities?

back in high school i mainly used the 50mm for my photography classes.

should i practice with my 18-55 set at 35mm to get a feel for it first?

I have to agree with TCampbell that the 35mm probably will suit you the best for the type of photography you are after.

A 35mm prime have faster autofocus, better quality and works better in low light(I guess you are going for the 35mm 1.8)

You can, as you self said set the kit lens to 35mm and see how it feels for you, then you will get a feeling how it's like with a 35mm prime.

ah yes, i forgot about the larger aperture settings, thats also why i wanted a new lens as well, thanks for the info.

ive been shooting the past couple of days with my 18-55 set at 35, but i have another question, is there going to be a difference with how close to the subject i can be to focus on it? whats the closest you can be to the subject and still be able to focus in on it with the 1.8 35mm prime?

thanks again KMH, i looked on nikons website and i guess i couldnt navigate it very well

Most reactions

Back