Need lens recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have discovered the problem with getting back into photography wasn’t the camera body or system, but a particular lens I was using that had seen a hard life and I had not realized that it had some damage. The lens in question is a Nikkor DX 17-55mm f2.8, I contacted a local repair shop and with the symptoms I provide is that the autofocus motor seems to be the issue, a bit of screeching and my shots were not sharp and out of focus. Anyways, I’m going to get it looked at and see if it’s worth fixing, but in the mean time I picked up a Nikkor DX 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 for a really good price used, which will likely replace it as my general purpose lens, also it’s significantly lighter. My other lens is the old Nikkor 80-200mm lens, which I currently use less often, it’s in good shape, so I don't need another telephoto lens. Photography I’m currently into in landscape, street, and some architectural photography, also I’d like to be able to take some great family portraits. Currently, I’d like to consider adding primes as I have zooms that cover most of the focal length that I would use.

I’m not opposed to manual focus, buying used, but want to keep the budget reasonable. I also have the option to use these lens on a Nikon FM and a Nikon F801s.

Lenses I’m considering:
Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Nocton
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f1.4

Thought‘s and other recommendations are welcome.

You have a crop body. A light, reliable, incredibly sharp, inexpensive lens I suggest you look at is the Nikon DX 35mm f1.8. Great for landscape. Except for the distortion true of all wide angle lens, great for architecture. Superb in low light. Small and light. Did I say incredibly sharp? And you can get it new for not much and used for pennies. It's not a "reasonable" cost, it's an amazingly dirt cheap cost that will leave you extra money in your budget to buy another lens used from a camera store.

Now, for street photography, what I'd recommend (but it will set you back a bit) is a 25-75mm f2.8. The f2.8 is important to give you bokeh for charming portraits of people shot from across the street. And the focal length (75mm which will be about 85-90mm) will be a good portrait distance with minimal distortion on your body. But this lens won't be cheap--because it's a superb walking around lens for people photography. Comes in a couple of different versions. I know one veteran nikon shooter who has made multiple trips to places like Laos, Cambodia, Morocco, and he doesn't shoot what he calls "post card" sites, he shoots the people. He puts this lens on his camera and doesn't bring a second one with him. Gets lovely street photography and casual portraits with it.

So I have discovered the problem with getting back into photography wasn’t the camera body or system, but a particular lens I was using that had seen a hard life and I had not realized that it had some damage. The lens in question is a Nikkor DX 17-55mm f2.8, I contacted a local repair shop and with the symptoms I provide is that the autofocus motor seems to be the issue, a bit of screeching and my shots were not sharp and out of focus. Anyways, I’m going to get it looked at and see if it’s worth fixing, but in the mean time I picked up a Nikkor DX 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 for a really good price used, which will likely replace it as my general purpose lens, also it’s significantly lighter. My other lens is the old Nikkor 80-200mm lens, which I currently use less often, it’s in good shape, so I don't need another telephoto lens. Photography I’m currently into in landscape, street, and some architectural photography, also I’d like to be able to take some great family portraits. Currently, I’d like to consider adding primes as I have zooms that cover most of the focal length that I would use.

I’m not opposed to manual focus, buying used, but want to keep the budget reasonable. I also have the option to use these lens on a Nikon FM and a Nikon F801s.

Lenses I’m considering:

I have a Voightlander 50 f/1.5 Nokton Aspherical and 90 f/3.5 APO-Lanthar, L39 rangefinder mounts. Both are stellar performers - I don't doubt but that the 58 f/1.4 Nokton will perform as well.
In Nikon F mount, I have a 55 f/1.4 and an 85 f/1.4 Otus - nothing wrong with Planars, though.
.I still doubt that buying new equipment is going to get your mojo back, but I hope I'm wrong. Good luck!

Last edited:
No f/stop is going to "give you bokeh!."
Correct. But that's not what I said. I was referring to the lens, not the f-stop. This is what the Nikon website has to say on the matter: "Bokeh is defined as “the effect of a soft out-of-focus background that you get when shooting a subject, using a fast lens, at the widest aperture, such as f/2.8 or wider.” How to Create Bokeh - Bokeh Photography Tips | Nikon | Nikon

In the meantime, the question is about lens recommendations. Do you have any you want to suggest?

I have a Voightlander 50 f/1.5 Nokton Aspherical and 90 f/3.5 APO-Lanthar, L39 rangefinder mounts. Both are stellar performers - I don't doubt but that the 58 f/1.4 Nokton will perform as well.
In Nikon F mount, I have a 55 f/1.4 and an 85 f/1.4 Otus - nothing wrong with Planars, though.
.I still doubt that buying new equipment is going to get your mojo back, but I hope I'm wrong. Good luck!
Thanks, I ended up not selling my gear and kept it, I feel that the primes will be nice to have a lighter setup and the current primes I’m looking at are manual focus will slow me down in a good way. Also the manual primes will work on my Nikon F801s and Nikon FM, If I so desire to shoot a bit of film.

As long as you are not shooting in dim/low light, I like the 18-140.
For low light, I use the DX 35/1.8. It is available for a reasonable price, compared to the FX lenses.
Those two lenses make a nice 2-lens kit.

Both are available used from KEH, so will be easier on your budget.

Correct. But that's not what I said. I was referring to the lens, not the f-stop. This is what the Nikon website has to say on the matter: "Bokeh is defined as “the effect of a soft out-of-focus background that you get when shooting a subject, using a fast lens, at the widest aperture, such as f/2.8 or wider.” How to Create Bokeh - Bokeh Photography Tips | Nikon | Nikon
I had not heard of Nikon's twist on the term. The "bokeh" I'm familiar with can be hard or soft, background or foreground, as defined here:
In other words, ANY lens will "give you bokeh."

In the meantime, the question is about lens recommendations. Do you have any you want to suggest?
Sure -see my reply to the OP.

The primary contenders are the Nikkor 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, and the 85mm f1.8. Any recommendations or advice on which prime lens to consider?

The primary contenders are the Nikkor 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, and the 85mm f1.8. Any recommendations or advice on which prime lens to consider?
The choice of focal length depends upon the desired perspective and area covered.

WHAT are you shooting?
A recommendation for one lens may/likely would not work for shooting something different.

You can use your current glass for daytime street photography, but I'd recommend a 35mm f/1.4 for blue hour and after. You can get manual focus glass for under $100 and AF glass for $400 to $600. That lens is also great for family events. My favorite place to shop for used glass is KEH.com. For landscapes I'd look at a 24mm f/2.8, which you can get at KEH for around $100.

Lenses I’m considering:

Gryffinwings

From what I read in your post, the very good, 16-85 lens that you recently purchased will be more than adequate to cover all of your photographic subjects. I'm not all that familiar with crop-sensor (DX) lenses, being that I shoot full frame. However, I do have the 16-85 that you mentioned. As for architectural photography, you'll want something in the 10-12mm focal range. I use a 17mm prime (FX) for my ultra-wide shooting.

Drinking Buddies.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back