Help please - photoshoot problems

ThomasTran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not sure where to post this, but i'm upset and would like advice.

Long story short- After a photoshoot with a female model, a photoshoot where i paid $60 for a hair and makeup artist to work with her. two things happened that made me upset and i feel like i have the right to be angry here.

1st. Halfway through the shoot - her boyfriend showed up, she didn't mention it to me beforehand.

2nd. After the shoot, she messaged me about a picture from the shoot that i had posted on my page as part of my portfolio. She would tell me her bf was not cool with me having the picture of her up (implied nude) and ask me to take them down.

Being a nice guy i do, but i'm upset! I didn't spend my money and time to take photos of her to keep on my computer! I wanted to build my portfolio and before the shoot she had signed a model release form.

what can i do without coming off as a jerk? I feel like it was very unprofessional of her.

Last edited:
Always have your model sign a Photo release form. This will solve your problem with the simple stroke of a pen. You can even downloadi iphone or droid apps for this!

I had her sign a model release form, It's your basic model release form, i know she has no rights to the pictures and she knows it too. it was just very unprofessional of her.

her bf was not cool with me having the picture of her up (implied nude) and ask me to take them down.

But he was OK with her posing for them? You've got the release, if you feel the shots are a good representation of your work and should be up on your page, put 'em up.

You don't have a contract with him, I hope you have one with her to spell things out. OR ask her to reimburse you for the hair stylist and you'll take them down.

Without knowing more, if you have the right via contract, I'd have to say leave it up.

A) She knew the kind of shots you were going to take.
B) She knew the shots were going to be yours to do with as you pleased when she signed the release.
C) I sounds like she's not the one with the problem. Sounds like her bf just wants to throw his manhood around and tell you what you can and can't do with pic of HIS woman but didn't have the balls to speak up at the time so he convinced/badgered her into making the request after the fact.

If she doesn't like that you wont take the image down it will teach here to be more careful of what she signs in the future which could save her a lot of greif in the long run.

Just out of curiosity, how did he act at the shoot?

Last edited:
Why get upset? That happens often. One photo isn't going to make or break your online portfolio. If it is an amazing piece of work, then put it in your physical portfolio for when people want to see examples of your work that is printed.

I will differ a bit from the previous responses. Photography is all about your reputation. Almost all of the work you get will be from word of mouth. My opinion, it's not worth the bad will by leaving them up. I am sure you have other good stuff from that shoot. Use something you can all agree with. If you get a reputation as the photographer who took shots the model wasn't comfortable with and then put them on the net for everybody to see, you will probably be ending your portrait career.

The thing is, in most photo shoots you will probably have an opportunity to take a picture that is not flattering, that the model wouldn't like, or one that exposes more than she had meant to...while she was changing poses, or whatever. Heck, at most of the weddings I have had photos that I wouldn't even dream of using in a portfolio. Sometimes there are 'wardrobe malfunctions' or awkward poses. Just because you have a contract doesn't mean you should use a photo she is uncomfortable with.

I realize that you paid the model for her work, paid for assistants, and took up your time, but I still don't think I would be comfortable with using a photo that the model expressly asked me not to use.

I feel the same way as Kerbouchard does, that why i took it down, i wanted a good reputation with my models.

Superfit - i'm upset the most by the fact that someone outside of the shoot is trying to tell me what to do, maybe it's an ego thing. She loved the shot and requested it as one of the pictures to be put on the CD i have to give her. It's her jealous boyfriend that doesn't like it.

Netskimmer- He looked really uncomfortable and while she was doing different poses he would give his opinion about it, he eventually took her aside and talked to her for a few mins, the shoot ended a little bit after that. She knew about the shoot and what it required and she agreed, she was fun, happy, flirty and into the shoot before he got there.

I feel like I got the short end of the deal, it took time and money to get everything together. It was a great shot, i'm tempted to post it for you guys to see because i feel like it's one of my top 10 shots ever.

I like Superfitz's idea about keeping the physical shots, that way you can keep the shot and her bf gets the discretion he wants.

I feel like I got the short end of the deal, it took time and money to get everything together. It was a great shot, i'm tempted to post it for you guys to see because i feel like it's one of my top 10 shots ever.

I am curous at this point and would love to see it but you should be careful about how you post it. I'm not sure about forum rules here but it would be best to post a link (if it is permitted) that way those of us at work don't get blind sided with a nude image on our work screens.:D

If she doesn't want you to have the picture or to be able to use it for your portfolio I would not put it on the CD for her.

Where did you get the model from?
Was it a service, like Model Mayhem?
If so, can you give feedback, or rate her?
I mean if you have to do the right thing to protect you reputation, so does she.
Tag her for reneging on a contract.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back