Help removing Lens Flare

I'm no expert with removing flares but I expect its going to involve using cloning and healing in order to fix the problem. You might find the following tutorial helpful:

its done in photoshop full, but much of the method can be directly used in elements and some other similar programs. In addition the rest of the series are a very interesting watch in methods for editing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any help or advice, tips will be helpful, thank you!

It is possible. This is a quick edit because the original is so small, but I just wanted to show you that it is possible. I corrected the exposure a bit, and tried something in the sky, which I am not lovin'.

q6t1ea

What was done:
- clone the grass, sand and skin.
- cloned her right leg and used its texture to help define the form on her left leg.
- corrected exposure with a screened layer and masking out the background
- sorry about the sky, but I just wanted to see if it could look natural... my bad.

The original might be a little over sharpened, or maybe it is web compression, but there is a hairline glow around the figure.

Nothing better to do, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Clone and heal and clone and heal and clone and heal and, etc., etc., etc.,...

FaustoFlare.jpg

Keep cloning and healing till it looks right. I'm not interested in actually working on it, and the fun has worn off. :D

Buckster and oldmacman, thank you for your attempts. they do look awesome! You guys have given me a glimmer of hope. I will try and try again. Thanks!
Thank you for the tutorial Overread! I'll watch it and see if it helps.

In this case I think the flare is a wonderful addition. It says bright intense sun. I would leave it. Hey welcome to the real world for all you that gasp at the sight of lens flare.

I disagree there is plenty of material to clone and get rid of it. I have rescued far worse.

Thank you!

how about some tips on how to remove the sunspots?
Using what? You have said PS, but is that Photoshop Elements 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9. Or could it be Photoshop 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, or CS5.

It helps to know what tools (and their capabilites) you have available to work with.

The image you posted on Picassa is only 322 px by 512 px, way to small to try and edit.

PS CS4
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BkukPBj0SdgqxldiSWQHKx6vSMaZUve57203BKIIc08?feat=directlink

Last edited:
I personally like the original photo. BUT a reflector would have made it SOOOO much better. invest in one.

ps It is wise to take a lot of photos just to ensure one that is not "ruined" i.e. get one they like. And I don't mean stand in the same exact spot and take a burst of several photos all alike.

You should join a forum for annoying sarcasm since you are quite clueless about photographic issues.

You should answer my question.

As much as a fly always seems to bring out the fly swatter I will attempt to just ignore the fly. You are a very annoying one liner artist. Not really worth the trouble. IMO

You're right. People are better served listening to your nonsense, am I right?

Are you ever going to answer my question?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back