help! right clicking and saving pics turns them into bmps!

manda

instigator of pottymouthedness
Reaction score
Website
www.lyptonvillage.org
Help!
For some reason all of a sudden, when I right click an image in Internet Explorer, and try to save to my hard drive it is saving them as a bitmap file.
Even if the file is a JPG or a GIF, it will only save it as a BMP. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
I cant figure out how to change it and its driving me nuts!

Ive looked in the tools and internet options on my browser but I cant find anywhere to change it.

Help much appreciated...

i had that same problem before when i was using our pc for a few months ... i dont remember what the problem was (im back on a MAC) .. but im sure i whined to the hubby about it ... i'll ask him when he wakes up ... if u dont get the answer before then :D ... why dont u try the new computer forum chase got set up?

Those temp internet files can cause all kinds of strange behavior... :irked: usually cookie-related, but we clear them all the time now. pita!

Back to the topic...

When you right click and choose "Save Picture As...", you should get a new window where you select the location on your computer to save your photo. At the bottom of that window, you should have an option for "Save as type"...bmp is the only option on that drop-down menu? Normally it will give you the option of bmp or the same type of file as the original that you are saving (although it may default to bmp).

If you still can't choose anything other than bmp, this article may help.

Also, you may want to see what updates you can find for Internet Explorer by visiting the Windows Update site.

Hopefully some of this helps! :)

vonnagy said:
try another browser.

if you are anti microsoft, the mozilla browser is pretty fab, i use that as my main browser most the time. not nearly as many problems as the ie:

http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

sorry, just being the geek while chase is away :)

I would go with this one instead. I hardly ever use IE anymore. Just for troubleshooting things.

Most reactions

Back