Help selecting flash

Tyguy35

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I bought myself a Nikon 105mm used for 600 bucks and now I am looking for a flash. I would love suggestions. I am trying to save money but I also don't want to cheap out and get something that will break.
The flash will be used for majority reptiles or bugs I will be adding a soft box to soften things up.

I need enough light to photograph venomous snakes at a short distance. Anyone have ideas on what I can use. I though lot about the ring flash since it would basically take the shadows out but I do not light the harsh light and the circles in the eyes.

Tyler

Have a look at the yongno flashes I have one and when I first got it I was extremely surprised by the quality and the best thing it is a lot cheaper than the canon/Nikon ones

Yongnuo Professional Flash Speedlight Flashlight Yongnuo YN 560 III for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Camera / Such as: Canon EOS 1Ds Mark, EOS1D Mark, EOS 5D Mark, EOS 7D, EOS 60D, EOS 600D, EOS 550D, EOS 500D, EOS 1100D (Discontinued by Manufacturer) Amazon.com : Yongnuo Professional Flash Speedlight Flashlight Yongnuo YN 560 III for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Camera / Such as: Canon EOS 1Ds Mark, EOS1D Mark, EOS 5D Mark, EOS 7D, EOS 60D, EOS 600D, EOS 550D, EOS 500D, EOS 1100D (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Above are great options for a regular flash.

For Ring flashes I'll add this as I've been looking into the Ring flashes/r1c1 macro flash a bit (with and without the SU800 controller).

But I think Nikon's ring flashes are all old systems and thus would be on manual on current cameras.
Their current macro "ring" flash system ==> Nikon R1C1

I've flipped flop myself between and older ring flash and the newer R1C1
Yongnuo & Meike also makes a ring flash system which is much cheaper.
Be aware though that some of the cheap ones don't flash, they are just constant ON LED system. I haven't been able to finalize which does what at this point though.

With either you have to make sure you get the appropriate ring for your lens (for the flash to connect to).

BTW, flashing a venomous snake ... is that a good idea up close ??

Last edited:
I will be using a 105mm which will get me out of strike range. Reptiles is kinda my thing lol I have enough respect for the animal not to get in its way.

What is the yongue flash conspired to in the ab series?

Compared to sorry. Damn phone.

So what I mean is which sb is compared to which yongnuo

It has a guide number of 38. The SB-910 has a GN of 34 so that's the closest to power output.

Keep in mind the 560III and IV's are manual flashes. I think anything above that does TTL though, like the 560EX, 565EX, 568EX, they have a few.

I have the 560IV's though and I like them. I don't need TTL too often, but sounds like you might benefit from it.

If you are looking for something OEM, a used sb600 or sb700 is a good choice. Both will get you TTL and HSS if needed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back