Help Selecting Wide Angle Zoom

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking about some real estate photography and am needing a nice wide angle zoom. I'm torn between 3 and I was hoping someone could help me narrow it down a bit.

My choices are the:
Sigma 10-20
Tokina 11-16
Tokina 12-24

Any thoughts?

Remember that 10mm is almost 20% wider than 12mm.

Im going to get the Tokina 11-16 b/c of the consent f2.8, and how close to a prime it is so you are going to get IQ, I have Shot on the Sigma 10-20 and that is why i didn't like it because it didn't have any type of constant f/stop, and the Tokina 12-24 dosen't go wide enough

I love my Sigma 10-20. Constant f-stop has not been an issue. It is sharp and quiet focus. I did a side to side with the Canon 10-22 and prefered the Sigma. I don't know the others very well, so this isn't to say they aren't worth looking at. The Tokina 11-16 wasn't available when I bought mine and the f2.8 is a consideration, but I don't feel I haven't been hindered by lens speed.

Check out:

10-20mm Image Gallery

Nice images. I'm really debating between the sigma and the tokina 11-16. Only reason I suggested the 12-24 was because I thought the greater zoon range would give me a little more flexibility.

Anyways, back to the Tokina 11-16 vs Sigma 10-20. I heard that both of these are sharp, but is it true that the Sigma's IQ drops off after 12mm or so? I heard it's only sharp when its wide open in the 10-20mm range. Can someone verify this?

Nice images. I'm really debating between the sigma and the tokina 11-16. Only reason I suggested the 12-24 was because I thought the greater zoon range would give me a little more flexibility.

Anyways, back to the Tokina 11-16 vs Sigma 10-20. I heard that both of these are sharp, but is it true that the Sigma's IQ drops off after 12mm or so? I heard it's only sharp when its wide open in the 10-20mm range. Can someone verify this?

I have not seen this at all. The IQ on my copy has been great throughout its range. I don't know if others have had that experience.

I've heard about it on a few reviews, so I know some are having an issue.

Thanks for this thread bdavis...I think the next lens I get will be a wide angle as well and was about to ask the same question.

Now I'll have to do some research on those listed. Let me know what you decide on.

Nice find! I was leaning towards the Tokina 11-16, but those photos are really nice, so thanks for making my decision that much harder...:lol:

Thanks for this thread bdavis...I think the next lens I get will be a wide angle as well and was about to ask the same question.

Glad I could help! lol

Here are a couple with my Sigma 10-20.

_MG_2208.jpg

walkway.jpg

grass.jpg

avshadow.jpg

These are a couple of demo shots with the Tokina 12-24 on an XSi. Nothing great, just trying to show the capability of the lens. I hope it helps:

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

Crap ! Damn this thread :grumpy:
Now I have to go and spend money on a 10mm zoom. The pics in the links inside this thread blew me away. NOw I know at least a little of what I'm missing and must have one !!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back