Help with blurry halo around photos.

bgshootr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought an old Yashica TLR that's in great shape. However, the pictures I take with it have a blurry halo. For example, on a 4x4 print, a quarter-sized area in the middle of the photo is clear and sharp (just like I focused). The rest of the photo surrounding this area gets blurry and progressively worse as it gets closer to the edge of the print. I've tried color and b/w film and run it through all aperture settings and shutter speeds. I recently removed the inner lens glass. Could it be that I didn't seat it back in well enough? The color is great and the sharp areas are nice too. Just want to get ALL of it now. Thanks to anyone who can help. :?:

Dont get me wrong here, I'm not trying to imply that you don't know what you're doing or anything,just trying ot make sure you didn't miss osmething simple. Have you checked to make sure there isn't a filter on the end of the lense?

No filter attached. The only thing I can localize the problem to is something to do with the lenses. All the glass is clean (spotless), so I know it's not scratches or crud on the lenses. I'm wondering if it's perhaps the positioning of the lens pieces. If the inner lens piece was turned around, could that cause the center to be clear and the surrounding areas blurry?

My first thought was a special effects filter, but you have already eliminated that.

Have you checked to see if there is mould growing on the lens. Happens if the camera has come from an environment with high humidity. Take the lens off & look through & if it is mould you will be able to see it.

How about posting the photo so that we can see the problem.

When you do solve the problem would you post the answer on the forum?

You state that you "recently removed the inner lens glass". Does this mean that you unscrewed one of the lens elements and then replaced it? If yes then why?

It is not usually a good idea to dismantle a lens unless you have an optical bench or whatever to check that everything is put back as it should be. You may have to get the lens checked over by someone who can properly test it and realign the elements if necessary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back