Help with camera and lens selection

moffatt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to digital photography, but I am passionate about learning as much and as soon as possible. I am looking at cameras that I can grow into such as the Nikon D90, D300 or the Canon 50D. Also, I am looking to purchase 2 lenses and from what I have read kit lenses might not be the way to go.

I am looking for advice on a camera and what you might recommend for lenses. I am trying to stay at a budget from $1500 - $2000.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

With that kinda budget you can get almost whatever you want. Go to you local Camera shop and hold the cameras your interested in. Also think about what kind of photography your lookin to get into. If you are goin to do wildlife then you will need a good lightweight tripod and a long fast lens, or portrait you should get a sharp fast lens with a nice flash. But in the end its all up to your style and comfort. I love my canon rebel xt, but I couldnt afford the 30D I wanted cause it felt more like my elan 7. I was just looking at my bosses new d60 and it came with 2 VR lenses that seemed pretty sharp and fast focusing to me. This is getting pretty long, sorry, the short of the long of it is, HOLD the camera, it counts for a lot.

What kind of photography are you looking to do? If you want a general package:

D300 (they are going for 1000 used)
Sigma 24-60 F2.8 (walk around lens)
Nikon 70-300 VR (telephoto lens)

Substitute the D200 for the D300 and save a couple hundred more bucks and pick yourself up another lens or upgrade the above lenses.

Thanks for the responses. I am looking to shoot portraits, wildlife, sports and nature. I have heard alot of good things about 50mm lens for portraits and they are under $100. So, should I get a 18-200mm as a walk around lens or is it best to split that lens into 2 different lenses?

Does this ad seem legit? $949 for a new Nikon D300???
http://www.lensesnmore.com/products.asp?dept_id=10267&product_id=13372

Yes. Do not throw your money away.

Check Nikonians.org or Fredmiranda.com - there are ALWAYS threads with people selling their used D300's and sometimes including extras. If you don't want to pay full price for one, just get one used. The difference is minimal especially if they have taken good care of their equipment (just check their feedback).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back