Help with digital printing needed!

Just a note.... Until recently, HP has not had an archival quality ink marketed. Perhaps, your experience is proof of that fact. HP now has the 8450 which uses their new Vivera ink set which is archival and reviewed by Wilhelm. I have personal problems with HP's consumer line of products so I didn't consider that printer.

I too ended up with the 2200 and my thoughts are here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29325

The 2200 is very good with B&W prints. It has a dedicated light black and black ink cartridges. For the black cartridge, you can either use Photo black or matte black which is forumulated for either glossy or matte finished papers. Note. the R1800 and R2400 use different ink sets from the 2200 which is not totally apparent in their market material. For example, the R1800 is listed as an 8 color printer.. but it only really prints 6 real colors at a time. In my opinion, for archival matte color and B&W prints the 2200 is still superior to the R1800. For glossy, the "finisher" cartridge gives the edge to R1800 but I almost never print glossy.

Marctwo said:
I was more curious as to whether the Epson 3 black system was anywhere near as good as it's hyped up to be?
I believe it will give B&W prints superior to the 2200. I was never really satisfied with that quality. To me, if you can look at a print and KNOW it's an inkjet - then that's subpar quality. When it comes to color prints, however, the 2200 is really astounding and I love it.

I think Epson knew B&W has been a weak area, and I expect the 3 black system will be a marked improvement. :thumbup: I think I read it will be an extra "light black" - maybe a "light light black" ? - and this will certainly enhance tonal range.

The Epson take on it:
With its Black, Light Black and Light-Light Black inks, anyone can easily achieve amazing black and white prints. And, since the inks are pigment-based, they deliver fade-resistant works of art that stay brilliant for up to 108 years in color and over 200 years in black and white.
I guess we'll have to wait for Rob's opinion when he get's one. ;)

Marctwo said:
The Epson take on it:I guess we'll have to wait for Rob's opinion when he get's one. ;)
That's it! :thumbup: It should be a nice enhancement. 200 years...? Gotta love Epson's PR dept. I think Wilhelm loves them even more; by now they've probably paid their building lease for the next 200 years. ;)

terri said:
I think Epson knew B&W has been a weak area, and I expect the 3 black system will be a marked improvement. :thumbup: I think I read it will be an extra "light black" - maybe a "light light black" ? - and this will certainly enhance tonal range.

Yup.. starting with the R2400 and up into the professional line, there is a light - light black, light black, and black ink cartridges.

Most reactions

Back