Help with Fixing AF for Canon 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

MyT2i

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens that works with manual focus. When set to auto focus, the lens will move back and forth (feel like the full focal length) a few times and then stop at a point that is totally out of focus. It sounds noisy than usual too. What can be the possible root cause? Is it something fixable? Thanks!

It's only that lens? I've noticed mine is starting to get a little rough but still focuses after some moving around. I think the focus issue MIGHT have something to do with the contacts on the back of the lens, but as far as the noisy, I'm at a complete loss.

The camera works fine with other lens? If yes, use a pencil eraser and rub the metal contacts on the lens mount of the 50mm lens. If that did not help, maybe something wrong with the lens. I am sure it is fixable, but it may not worth it. The repair cost maybe higher than the lens cost.

I was thinking the same thing. The lens is around $100 or so I believe.

Yes, the camera works fine. And I tried the pencil eraser and live shooting mode too. It still does not work. Thanks for all the responses.

That is the cheapest EF lens that Canon makes...and they had to cut plenty of corners to keep the price so low. Plenty of people use it for years, with no problems, but it's also the most likely lens to have problems simply because it so cheap. It would likely cost at least $100 to have Canon (or someone) check it out and fix it...so probably not worth the cost...not a happy situation.

Would $100 to repair it also improve on some of the cut corners? THEN it would be worth it.

Would $100 to repair it also improve on some of the cut corners? THEN it would be worth it.

No...it is effectively, a throwaway lens....when one conks out, the smart user simply buys a different lens. It's really NOT worth spending $100 on repairing a low-performance, cheaply-designed lens. This 50mm lens often snaps into two pieces when dropped, or when it takes a sharp impact. it is, I have been told by one who woulkd know, actually held together by what are basically, plastic rivets, and not the more-normal screws. It's sad to say it, but these days, even $100 is not very much money...it's two tanks' worth of gasoline for many of us...one one week's worth of groceries...or less...

Just this very week, I saw a YouTube video where two guys did a drop test, with a brand-new, right-outta-the-factory-box of a Canon 50/1.8 EF-II lens...they dropped it onto a concrete floor, and it snapped into two pieces, on the very first drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two tanks????? You're lucky! To fill my van tank once, it was $93 yesterday

Most reactions

New Topics

Back