What's new

Help with macro cam choices

snapsalot

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 11, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. I need a camera for taking extreme macro shots. I dont really care about pics of kids or long distance. The ONLY thing I will be doing with this camera is taking pictures of very small coins. and I would like to be able to show even semi microscopic details on the coins.

I would prefer it to be under 100 bucks and i am cool with buying used.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. I have already gone through 3 different cameras and none cut it yet :/
 
Good luck with that budget.


--
Sent from my HTC Pyramid.
 
$100 will get you a portion of the lighting required to take such shots.... the camera is a different story.
 
Hi everyone. I need a camera for taking extreme macro shots. I dont really care about pics of kids or long distance. The ONLY thing I will be doing with this camera is taking pictures of very small coins. and I would like to be able to show even semi microscopic details on the coins.

I would prefer it to be under 100 bucks and i am cool with buying used.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. I have already gone through 3 different cameras and none cut it yet :/

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You can buy a hundred different camera's and none will cut it. It's not about the camera, it's about the lens. 1 guy in 300 million people is not a big enough consumer base for any camera company to make a $100 camera that will do what you want. They produce for the masses, not a minority, especially when it comes to cheap point and shoot camera's.

If you are serious in your need, then you need to come to the realization that you are going to have to spend some money to get results you want. You don't have to buy the newest body on the market, a good used body would serve the purpose. A lens to meet your requirements however is another matter. My personal suggestion would be the Canon MP-E5 to get that semi-microscopic detail. It however is not going to be anywhere near $100.00. Canon Macro Photo MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Manual Focus 2540A002 B&H


Another way to do so would be to get something like a 100mm macro lens and extension tubes to get greater than 1 to 1 magnification. Again that is not going to be a $100.00 fix.
 
The others are sadly right, you simply need far more budget to really do what you want in a realistic and quality manner. A DSLR, lens and lighting are going to cost you and, whilst you can use some good older gear, even then it will not be cheap.

As for going higher with the magnification the MPE lens that gryph notes can get you about this close:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4329920909_070ce57bd4.jpg
to a 2p coin; for reference here is what a normal macro lens would get you to on the same coin
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/4330577054_b3424b531d.jpg


The only cheaper way to do that would be to use microscope elements to increase your magnification, though that area can get a bit fiddly with what specific items are best to use and I've not ventured into it to really be able to give any proper answers as to possible products.
 
To the OP. Sorry if my first response sounded flippant. It was not intended to be that way. Your budget just does not allow for what you want to do. It is an unfortunate fact that a lot of people not in and even those that get into photography seem to think that it is 1. easy and 2 cheap. Sadly it is neither. Sometimes it is best to just not beat around the bush with shucks and maybe answers. Just as your need is a very specific one, the lens that I posted is made to fit just such a specific need. Because of this the equipment, in this case the lens needed to fill your need is specialized which makes it expensive. I wish you luck in finding something that will work.
 
Did you forget a zero? $100 might cover the literature you clearly need...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom