Help with Macro

If you want large depths of field, what you really need is a tilt-shift lens. Since you've got a 5D, maybe the 90mm f/2.8 TS-E lens? Probably not cheap, but it'll do an awesome job.

understood but the lens is hunting.. therefor it is probably too close.
Yeah, I agree that it was probably too close. Just wanted to clarify that, because a lot of people don't know - and on a long macro lens it can be a pretty big difference (distance from front element vs distance to film plane).

I assumed that you knew to measure from the film plane, but I wasn't sure if Julie knew that.

Julie

The DOF on that lens when you are up close is very very very shallow -- measured in millimeters. Make your aperture very small (increase fstop) and try again. You'll get the hang of it.

There is a slight learning curve if you are not used to macro photography. Most of the time if you want very good detail in your subject you are going to have to be at f/16 to f/22+. With such narrow apertures you will need lots and lots, and then some more light, or you will find yourself at very high ISO. Here is a shot of a dandelion, this was shot at ISO 200, Shutter 100, f/13. At f/13 you can see that the outer edges of the dandelion are still slightly OOF. Here is a link to an online DOF calculator, http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html, you can put in your camera type and the lens and distance info. As mentioned above, you will find that you are working with fractions of an inch/mm.

IMG_11489.jpg

WOW! Awesome information guys, thank you so much. The 5D doesn't have a pop up flash, I use a 580EX with a diffuser. But I am going to go out today and try some things you guys mentioned. My aperture was way to wide. But I did think it was about 6 or so inches that I could be from the subject since it's not from the front of the lens....
thanks again for the help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back